Chapter Forty-Six | Scared

"How could you let this happen?" Sebastian demanded. "What kind of guard are you if the person you're supposed to be guarding gets hit by a brick?"
     "Sebastian, stop," JF ordered.
     One hour ago, Darrel was in her bedroom when she thought she heard something outside. As she went to look out the window, a brick sailed through the glass and hit her in the head, knocking her to the ground.
     Now, Darrel entered the library after Dr. Clarkson assessed her. The rest of her family, the Spanish guests and Allen were there as well.
     "I won't stop!" Sebastian protested. "We're lucky that it was a brick, and not a bullet. What's the point of having guards if an incident such as this one still happens?"
    "Yelling at Allen won't change what happened," Cora reminded.
    Sebastian let out a heavy sigh and glared at Allen, who slunk off towards the corner of the library. JF placed a hand on his cousin's arm and pulled him onto the sofa. Robert could sense the tension in the room, so he poured a glass of whiskey and handed it to the prince.
     "Thank you," Sebastian muttered.
     Sebastian took a large sip and turned to look at Darrel. She was still quite pale, and had yet to utter more than a few words since the brick incident. The blood was gone, and Dr. Clarkson had a bandage wrapped around her head.
     "What happens now?" JF inquired.
     "We have two guards stationed outside the library. The rest are searching the house and grounds as we speak." Allen informed. "Plus, we ordered the servants to stay downstairs until it's complete."
     "Good."
     "I would like to go back to what Sebastian was saying," Mary announced, turning to the guard. "Isn't it your job to keep my sister from getting killed?"
     "Don't exaggerate Mary. She's not dead," Tom reminded.
     "Not this time, but who knows what might happen next? You heard Sebastian; it could be a gun next time."
     "Mary..."
     "I don't want my sister to die!"
     "Mary, stop talking," Henry hissed. "You're frightening her."
     Mary bit her bottom lip as everyone turned to look at Darrel. Eyes streamed down her face, and her body quivered. Sebastian went to sit next to her and wrapped his arms around her, planting a kiss on her head.
     "Don't worry Darrel," Sebastian assured. "I will do everything to protect you."
     Darrel gave him a weak smile as they heard a knock at the door. Allen aimed his gun at the door.
     "Who is it?" Allen called.
     The door opened and Benjamin stepped in, glaring at the other guard.
     "Put that down before you hurt somebody. We don't need you inuring anyone else," Benjamin ordered.
     "Sorry," Allen muttered.
     "Your highness, we swept the entire house and the grounds. We couldn't find anybody."
     "Are you sure you were thorough?" Sebastian asked.
     "As thorough as we could be with five guards. Also, we have a group of guards arriving tomorrow from Buckingham Palace. Then we will escort the three of you back to London."
     "What?" JF inquired.
     "Since there are more guards in London, it will be safer for the princess."
     "Fine. Can we all leave the library now?" Mary groaned. "I need to sleep."
     Robert gave his daughter a look of disbelief, but she rolled her eyes.
     "You may leave m'lady," Benjamin replied. "Although Their Highnesses and His Excellency must stay in the library for the evening."
     "¿Por qué?" The cousins cried.
     "There aren't enough guards at Downton. This way we will only have one room to watch."
     Sebastian and JF let out annoyed sighs, while Darrel shrugged. The rest of the family bid them a good evening and filed out. Allen made a final sweep of the room then left the library with Benjamin. JF walked over to the shelves and browsed through the many titles Lord Grantham's library had to offer.
     "Are you alright?" Sebastian asked.
     "I'm fine," Darrel muttered.
     "I know that you're scared, but it's going to be okay."
     "You don't know that. I know that it was only a brick, but it was terrifying."
     Darrel dissolved into tears as Sebastian pulled her into a tight, comforting hug.
     "Try to get some sleep tonight," JF suggested, as he sat across from the couple.
     "I already know that I won't be able to," Darrel shrugged.
     "The guards are on high alert. You're safe now."
     "I suppose so."
     Darrel gave the cousins a weak smile as she wiped her tears away.