010. farewell

CHAPTER 10,
(   farewell.   )

    "Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" Murphy yelled, his hoarse voice penetrating through the thick, tense silence that encompassed the delinquents as they stood outside of the tent that kept Charlotte hidden

"Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" Murphy yelled, his hoarse voice penetrating through the thick, tense silence that encompassed the delinquents as they stood outside of the tent that kept Charlotte hidden. Pushing through the dense crowd, Ava hastily planted herself in front of the bloodied boy, grabbing him by the sleeve of his ripped jacket. Rage colored his every movement and fire blazed in his darkened, misty eyes as they locked on hers. It was a rage that refused to be contained, tempting and luring the boy to act on the vengeance he so desperately sought. Cold and vacant of emotions, his eyes lingered on hers for just another moment before focusing back towards the tent. "Bring the girl out now!"

Ava felt her heart sink as she kept her eyes trained on the mistreated boy. His face was decorated with deep cuts, purple bruises, dirt, and bright red blood — and for what? He was innocent, yet he was the one who faced the consequences for a crime he did not commit. Not only was he furious at the harm his people mercilessly inflicted upon him, he was hurt. They had betrayed him, treated him like the dirt they threw him in before tying the noose around his neck. "You wanna build a society, princess?" Murphy roared, his voice gravelly and ominous. "Let's build a society. Bring her out!"

"Murphy," Ava shouted, catching his misty eyes once more. She couldn't stand to see him like this. She needed to get through to him before he foolishly escalated the situation to a point of no return. "You don't want to do this, ok? You know you'll regret it."

He didn't speak for a few moments, glowering at her as he stepped close enough for her to see the deepness of the mark that circled around his neck left from the noose. Shaking his head ever so slightly, his mangled hand reached for his neck in an almost comforting way. "You don't get it, Ava." He turned to look at the rest of the delinquents as they watched silently. "None of you get it because none of you were hung for a crime you didn't commit!"

The abrupt flapping of the tent caused everyone's heads to turn, watching as Bellamy slowly made his way out into the brewing chaos. Sauntering towards him with challenge in his presence, Murphy lifted his lips into a cynically cruel smirk. "Well, well, well. Look who decided to join us."

"Dial it down and back off," Bellamy asserted without a moments hesitation, his jaw locked and brow furrowed as he kept his face stern with authority.

Murphy slowly staggered forward, his eyes holding the older boy's in a deadly stare. "Or what? What are you gonna do, Bellamy? Hang me?"

Ava could've sworn she caught a flicker of guilt flash in his dark brown eyes. Nonetheless, Bellamy held his ground as he stared at the boy he so callously hung earlier. "I was just giving the people what they wanted."

"Yeah. Yeah, that's a good idea." Murphy replied,
his voice calm yet taunting."Why don't we do that right now?" He turned his back on Bellamy, facing towards the delinquents. His stormy eyes scanned the crowd, glaring at the people who stood by idly as he was wrongfully strung up. "So, who here wants to see the real murderer hung up?" With his arm outstretched to the clouds, Murphy awaited any movement or sound of agreement from the crowd. "All in favor?"