7: a spinel's day out

"And this is fish stew pizza!" You gestured to the building beside you, smiling a bright, excited smile to the silent spinel who was standing beside you. "They serve really good pizza here. Obviously!" you giggled lightly to yourself, not noticing spinel twiddling her thumbs, looking visibly on edge. "If you don't know what pizza is, it's this circle shaped dough, covered with this stuff called tomato sauce and cheese, and then baked in a-" Your words became nothing but a distant mumbling to the pink gem standing before you as she pensively looked you up and down a rather silent yet unnerved confusion.

Just a few hours ago, you wore a stone-cold glare with borderline lifeless, ringed eyes, speaking in a voice that would put the toughest quartz-- maybe even a diamond-- in a state of paralyzing anxiety. And even after that, you showed the face of raw fury, ring-eyed, hair disheveled, baring a voice that could've been mistaken for a burly agate's that would make any quartz-- and maybe even ultimate quartz, jasper-- snap to attention in an instant.

But now you were cheerfully touring spinel around beach city, waving cheerfully to residents that passed you both, bouncing down the boardwalk in a blind childish elation, your shoes squeaking with each bound, your (color) pigtails bouncing along with you in the warm Seabreeze. heck, your eyes also shined brighter than the sun itself! It was as if you were blissfully unaware of the other two sides that you've shown!

This not only confused and startled spinel, but she was also quite frustrated by it.

How can something as small and delicate as a pebble be so frightening!?

"--Miss spinel? Miss spinel did ya hear?" Spinel blinked rapidly as you poked her gem lightly to try and get her back to reality. "Gah! em... sure, kid. Somethin' about pizza n' junk..." You smiled giddily and bounced to the front of her. "But this comes at a later time." you stated matter-of-factly. "Right now, we've gotta show you the wonders of that arcade I told you about! It may seem like a bunch of flashing machines, but I promise it's a swell ol' time, yes siree!" You grab her wrist, and beamed up at her brightly. "C'mon, let's go!" without waiting for a reply, you booked in the direction of the arcade, spinel's arm stretching as you got further and further away. She took this moment to watch you with a raised eyebrow.

Geez. How can something be scary but cute at the same time?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeeeesh..."

Spinel lifted her brow her eyes sweeping across the multiple flashing screens of the brightly colored arcade games that filled the building with uproarious noises, such as artificial laser sounds, pixilated banging noises all the works. You cheerfully threw your arms up an excitedly announced; "Behold! funland arcade!" You giggled softly and bounced in front of her, gesturing with an arm to the many machines dramatically. "It might look like a bunch of flashy machinery, but lemme tell ya, these thingys are a grand old time, yessiree!" You clasp your hands in front of your hands together, eyes shining brightly. "You can even get yourself a prize if you play enough games!" Spinel huffs and crosses her arms skeptically. "I think imma just watch, kiddo..."

You your pupils swell up and you give her big puppy dog eyes. "Come on, miss spinel. you might really like it! You'll feel much better once you get on a few games." Spinel scoffed and turned her head away from you. "How is a bunch of organic machine junk supposed to make me feel any better about this place?" You crossed your arms, and pouted at her. "You said that about my pancakes, and yet you ate it all without being asked." You took hold of her arm and tugged it lightly. "Come oooon, don't knock it til you try it! Pretty please?"

She stared down at you pensively, taking in your large (color) puppy eyes.

Luckily, she didn't feel fear or annoyance from your stare for once.

But now she found it difficult to refuse the little fink's desire for her to play on these fancy human machines.

After a brief stare off, she huffs and rolls her eyes. "Fffffine. But just one then we get outta here!" You beamed brightly at her and bounced happily on your feet. "YIPPEE! Thank you miss spinel! c'mon, let's get us some tokens!" without waiting for a response, you bounded towards the desk, your shoes squeaking with each bound you made. Spinel stood there for a moment before slowly following behind you.

That... she though. was an enjoyable reaction...

She watched silently as you interacted with the supposed owner of this establishment, inwardly frowning at having to touch the same things these organics do.

Just... one and done. How hard is that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WINNER! WINNER!

NEW HIGH SCORE!

"YAHOO!!" Spinel threw her arms up pumping her fists into the air as the words winner flashed over and over on the screen of her 13th game in a row. you watched spinel's victory dance cheerfully as you gathered the multiple tickets that spewed from the ticket dispenser. "Ya see? I told ya it was a grand ol' time!" You cheerfully piped as you then examined your ticket hoard, strand by strand. "Now what?" Spinel asked as you smiled up at her. "Now, we turn them in! Come on!" Before she could question you, you shove the tickets into spinel's hands and pushed her up to the prize counter giddily, making mr. smiley flinch from the abruptness of your actions. After she and mr. smiley stared at each other for a moment or two, she awkwardly cleared her throat and set the tickets into the counter. "Uh... apparently I get something in exchange for these ticket thingies..?" She asked, a disinterested note in her voice.

Mr. smiley... well smiled and turned around and held up a large stuffed bear in his hands. "Ah, you can exchange em for one of these if you'd like!" He exclaimed cheerfully. spinel narrowed her eyes, looking the plush up and down with dissatisfaction. "That's all? A fake animal?" mr. smiley's smile faltered as he set the plush on the counter and itched the back of his head. "Well em... I could get you a scooter, or perhaps--" Spinel's gaze fell to the glass counter and her eyes locked onto a particular object within it. "Ey now, what's that thingy?" Mr. smiley looked down and his bright smile returned. "Oh that? That's a slinky." He grabbed the small toy and played with it in his hands, stretching it and shifting it side to side, much to spinel's surprising delight. "Whatcha think? Ya like it?" spinel looked down at you for a moment before slamming a hand onto the counter.

"I'll take two."