Prologue

Prologue

For Toma Mizuki, volleyball had always been part of her life. Her father was a professional volleyball player and she had naturally acquired his talents and tenacity. It was her dream to become a professional volleyball player just like him. She had planned out her life, however, what she did not anticipate was the unexpected death of her father.

7 years ago

Toma Mizuki was an energetic and friendly girl who loved volleyball a little too much. She would teach others how to set, serve, and spike, despite her not even being that good during elementary school. Everyone liked her... well, almost everyone. There was a boy in her class who never really talked to her. His blonde hair was often disheveled and he wore glasses with black, round frames that always seemed to fall off his small face. He was a lot taller than most boys, and he was definitely quieter and more reserved. His name was Tsukishima Kei, and her ultimate goal was to become friends with him.

6 years ago

Mizuki became "friends" with Tsukishima Kei in a very peculiar way. She saw him drawing a huge dinosaur in his notebook during their lunch break and automatically guessed that it was a T-Rex. It was the only dinosaur that she knew. He gazed at her with the most disgusted and angry expression on his face. It was the first time that he was not indifferent about her. She could still remember what he said after she had so confidently guessed T-Rex.

"It's a Pterodactyl, stupid."

5 years ago

Mizuki continued to annoy Kei. He never wanted to become friends with her but she had become so persistent that he never really tried to stop her from interacting with him. They did have one thing in common - they both liked playing volleyball. When they walked home from school, Kei would talk about his brother who was the current ace of a middle school volleyball team. On the other hand, Mizuki would talk about her dad and how he would soon become part of an international volleyball team. The two's connection continued to grow until one day, Mizuki received news that she had to move away to Brazil.

5 years ago, Toma Mizuki's birthday

The day before her birthday, Mizuki told Kei that her family was moving to Brazil in a couple of months. He didn't seem to be upset, but he was a lot more silent than usual. He didn't retort back or make stingy comments towards her like he usually did. On her actual birthday, he didn't attend her birthday party which made her simultaneously angry and sad. She thought that they were good friends - or maybe even best friends. Because of this, Mizuki decided to confront Kei by walking to his house and giving him a piece of her mind. Before she could even leave her house, he arrived there suddenly with a gift in his hand.

"Before you get mad at me for missing your party, you should see what I got you." Kei handed over a small, gift-wrapped rectangular box with a green ribbon on top. Mizuki thanked him but she reminded herself that she was still angry. When she opened his gift, she found a silver necklace with a cute T-Rex charm dangling on it. It was as if all the negative emotions she had felt toward Kei disappeared the moment she saw the T-Rex.

"A Pterodactyl?" Mizuki teased, grinning widely at him.

"Don't start with that." Kei rolled his eyes, but inside, he was glad that she liked his birthday present.

It served as a goodbye present too.

5 years ago, Toma Mizuki's last day in Japan

Mizuki's family was getting ready to drive to the airport in Tokyo. Kei and a bunch of her elementary school friends were there too to say goodbye to her and her family. Some of them were crying, while others were trying to keep up a brave face saying that they would miss her. Kei remained silent, but she knew how he felt. They both felt the same unspoken, lingering sadness. Before Mizuki entered her car, she called out to Kei.

"I got you a goodbye gift." Mizuki smiled sadly. She reached out from her bag and took out a pink envelope with dinosaur and volleyball stickers on it.

To: Kei, the biggest dinosaur geek

From: Mizuki, your best friend forever

"This is horribly designed." Kei mumbled as he stared blankly at the envelope that rested on the palm of his hands.

"Don't open it until I leave." Mizuki slapped his shoulder. Kei nodded and without saying a word, she pulled him in for a tight hug. This was their first hug - Kei didn't really like hugs so she often refrained from it.

This was an exception so he let it slide, just this one time.

"Bye Kei."

"See you later, stupid."

・‥...━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━...‥・

A/N: Welcome to a Tsukishima Kei fic, fellow Kei lovers! You, my dear reader, are in for a wild ride.