Chapter 1

I crept down the boys corridor, trying to be as quiet as a mouse so I wouldn't wake anyone. The guys would have a field day if they saw me down here at this time at night and their wildness would surely alert the Administrators. I didn't wear any shoes, the pitter-patter of my bare feet was enough noise as is. Thankfully the boys corridor hallway was shorter than the girls because there was only four of them and six of us.

"Crap." I whispered to myself as I tripped on the area rug, nearly falling flat on my face.

I got up quickly and did a perimeter check, the coast was clear. I should have worn my robe to keep my teeth from chattering. It was so cold that my breath was visible in the air. Luckily I was nearly to my room, only up the stairs and to the left.

"Stop." I heard a deep voice emerge from behind me just before I could take one step up the stairs. "Naomi?" Mr. Davis asked.

"I-I..." I suddenly lost my voice.

"What're you doing out of bed? It's past midnight." He crossed his large arms over his wide chest and cocked his eyebrows, impatiently waiting to hear my poor excuse.

"I had to use the bathroom sir."

"You ventured all the way down to the common bathroom? What was wrong with the bathroom in your corridor?"

"It was occupied." I said quickly, Sarah had been in there for a while now. More than likely smoking again and blowing it out the window.

"If you used the common bathroom, why are you in the boys corridor?" He shot me a snide smirk, assuming he caught me in a lie.

"It's the quickest way to the common bathroom, otherwise I'd have to walk all the way around the building just to get there."

"Did you ask Mr. Patry? He's on duty tonight for your floor whilst I am down here with the boys." He leaned forward, closer to my face.

"No sir." I looked up and saw that he was unsatisfied. "I would have! But I couldn't find him in the hallway and I really, really had to go."

"I'll escort you back to your room." He placed his hand behind my left shoulder and narrowed his eyes.

Uh oh. It's never good when one of the administrators escort you back to your room, that is equivalent to a lecture or, worse, a punishment. I felt like I was shrinking as we climbed the stairs, I was walking as slow as he'd let me but what wasn't much. I was desperately trying to stall getting back to my room until I could mentally prepare myself for what was to come.

"Here we are," he opened my door, ignoring the large creek produced from the old wood. "Naomi, if I find out you're lying to me, the consequences will be severe."

"I promise sir, I am not lying." I said as steadily as I could.

"Goodnight then."

"Goodnight sir." I said surprisingly.

I instantly went straight to my bed, I got away with that but with Mr. Patry on duty tonight I didn't want to take any chances of screwing up. This is what has become of me; obedient - well mostly obedient, dutiful, and entirely cautious everyday fearful of what would happen to me if I put even a toe out of line. What's funny is that I'm not even supposed to be here. I never knew why my parents sent me to the Academy because I was always a good kid. I got good grades, was in academic clubs, don't get me wrong I would occasionally mess up but what kid doesn't? It wasn't until March that I found out why I was sent here. It's strange how an ordinary family can have so many unopened doors and how something can just disappear so quickly.

FLASHBACK:

I had all my bags packed, I am so ready to get the hell out of this place. I've only been here for three months and my bottom is permanently marked for life. All I had to do now was go down to Mr. Patry's office and collect my confiscated items and then my parents will be here to get me. I skipped merrily to the office, rubbing elbows with everyone who would be left behind here while I escaped with happiness. Most of the girls here are not my type of friends but they were nice to talk to since they understand what we all go through everyday.