Chapter 23: Last Chance

Media: https://pin.it/2yM0loA

---

Hong Ting being quiet was normal for the Mao family. In fact, it was normal to all the people outside the Hong fu.

Mao Zhen, for example, could joke around with Hong Chun anytime she wanted but not once had she ever provoked her friend's brother who was like a Bodhisattva.

He was the prime example of a scholar wholly devoted to his books.

"These few years, I heard that Brother Ting is famous in the academy. Mother has endless praises for you that sometimes, I think she wishes that I entered the academy, instead of the army." Mao Zhu initiated the conversation.

Hearing this, Hong Ting's chopsticks pause.

He wore a light smile and said, "Lieutenant Colonel overpraises. Above me, there's still the grandson of the Grand Tutor and the twin nephews of the Prime Minister."

The words were polite and good-natured. No one could question Hong Ting's form of address as he was never seen to be close with anyone but Hong Chun could detect the faint animosity.

She wanted to shake her head and laugh.

"It's all good if our Xiao Ting passes the exams and has a smooth career. You two..." Father Hong looked at Mao Zhu and his son. "Should help each other out in the future. Who else can we lean on other than family?

Qi-shi smiled at these words while she nodded.

Hong Ting's face froze for a split second before drawing a quiet 'En.'

"Oh right, how's being back in the capital Zhu'er?" Mother Hong asked after a while.

"Zhu'er is fine, Aunt. There are many changes here but I've already adjusted. I brought home presents for you but haven't sent it when I learned Aunt and Uncle weren't here."

"You could've sent them anytime, dear. You know you're always welcome." Yi Bing said happily.

Mao Zhu slowly nodded, holding back his grin and the warmth creeping up his neck and face.

"Understood," he glanced at Hong Chun but the girl was busy looking at the dishes in front of her.

He tried keeping a straight face despite the smile trying to break.

"Pft!" Mao Zhen couldn't hold her laughter at how flustered he was with just a few words from his future mother-in-law.

But she suddenly felt a chill so she looked to her side.

She was sure the bodhisattva glanced at her but now, he was focused on the rice on his bowl.

Hong Chun looked over and caught her friend staring at Hong Ting. The older girl smirked but Mao Zhen couldn't explain herself.

'It's not how it looks like!'

Hong Chun's gaze seemed to answer, 'Oh yeah?'

Frustrated, Mao Zhen put all her attention on her food. Not once did she raise her eyes again.

Miss Hong was amused by this. She never saw Mao Zhen so behaved. It turned out Hong Ting was the answer.

Realizing up to here, Hong Chun stopped chewing.

How could she forget? Swallowing her food, she also swallowed unnecessary thoughts.

It was best to leave as soon as possible.

She woke up from zoning out and heard Mao Madam recounting Mao Zhu's fortuitous encounter with the Emperor. It might be a trick of the light but she thought she saw Father Hong's hand twitch.