Chapter 52

Fred and George accompanied me near the girls' bathroom and waited outside for me as I washed up my face to clean it up. But my robes were still stained with blood.

Huffing to myself, I came out of the bathroom and walked toward Fred and George who were talking to each other in angry whispers.

But the moment they say me, they immediately fell quiet.

"I think I need to go back to our dormitory to change," I told the twins, pointing grimly at my dirty clothes. "I've got spare robes."

"We'll come with you, then," said Fred, walking towards me.

"Yeah," George nodded, following him.

"Thanks, guys," I smiled at them weakly.

As we made our way towards the Gryffindor common room, we remained silence the whole way, yet I caught Fred and George give each other knowing looks every now and end.

"Mimbulus mimbletonia," I said the passwords and the portrait of the fat lady swung open.

Walking inside the common room, we found it almost empty except for only a few, including Lee. The others were still at the Great Hall for dinner.

"What happened to you?" Lee's eyes widened at the sight of my bloody robes.

"Fake paint," I said quickly, but Lee raised a suspicious brow.

"We pranked her," said Fred and George together.

"Well, that makes sense," Lee shrugged, letting the matter go.

"Can you guys wait here for me?" I said. "I'll be down in five minutes, and then we can go to the Great Hall for dinner."

"Alright," said the twins in sync and I nodded at them in appreciation, walking upstairs towards our dormitory.

I thought I would be alone, but when I entered the room, there I saw Kathrine, again on her bed, writing.

When her eyes darted up and looked at me and my blood-stained robes, she gasped, "Oh, God!" she stood off the bed and walked towards me. "Are you okay, Lexi?"

"Yeah, I'm alright—"

"—Ugh, that stupid Malfoy got you bad, didn't he?"

"Yeah, I — hang on," I said, taking aback as I frowned at her. "How did you know?"

"Er — you know — Hermione just told me."

"But Hermione doesn't even know!" I retorted, staring at her in disbelief.

"Well — she — er — saw you," she said awkwardly, but then shook her head. "Why don't you go and change your clothes? I — I think I'll go to the Great Hall and get something to eat..."

And by that, she left the dormitory, leaving me dazed and confused.

How on earth did she know?

Shaking my head, I quickly went to change my clothes into my spare robes, not wanting to keep Fred and George waiting for me too long.

After I was all cleaned up with no trace of blood on my face or clothes, I left the dormitory and went downstairs and into the common room, but Fred and George were nowhere to be seen.

Feeling worried, I went towards Lee who was sitting in a corner with Alicia Spinnet and Angelina Johnson, chatting.

"Hey, Lee?" I said, making him look up at me. "Where did Fred and George go?"

"Dunno," he shrugged. "But they said they were gonna go and teach someone manners. Whatever that means..."

"Oh, no," I gulped in horror.

***

I left the common room immediately after that, searching every hall on my way to find Fred and George as I was heading towards the dungeons, where I guessed that they probably were.

All the way, I kept praying to myself that they hadn't done anything stupid, but of course I was wrong.

I hadn't even reached the entrance hall that I suddenly heard a yelp at the end of an empty hall and the sound of someone hitting a wall came.

Horror striking me, I ran forward and turned the corner, coming into a halt at what I saw. "Oh, God!"

There, in the deserted place, there stood Fred and George with their wands raised and in front of them laid Malfoy and Crabbe unconscious on the floor, several jinxes used on them.

      But Goyle was crawled up in the corner of the wall, trembling in fear as he waited for Fred ans George to jinx him too.

     "What the heck do you think you're doing!?" I yelled at them, causing them to jerk their heads towards me. "Let him go!"

      "Stay out of this, Lexi," said Fred.

      "Excuse me!?" I snapped, folding my arms angrily.

      Fred was just about to open his mouth to retort, but finding us distracted, Goyle made a run for it and ran out of the corridor.

      "Oi!" Fred yelled after him, trying to throw the jinxes at him, but he missed and Goyle got away.

      "Damn it, Lexi! Look what you did!" Fred huffed.

      "Me!?" I scoffed. "I told you not to come here! I told you to leave these dungbrains alone!"

      "They deserved this!" said George defensively.

      "Yes, but now you're going to get into trouble because of them! They weren't worth it!"

"We don't ca—!"

"—Oh, good gracious!" someone gasped behind us and we all turned around, our eyes widening.

There stood Umbridge, with Goyle behind her as he smirked at us.

"Who did this!?" she demanded with authority. "I want answers!"

"Professor, Malfoy—" Fred and George started to explain, but I broke them off by saying loudly,

"—It was me."

By that, all eyes turned on me, bewildered.

"Well, Miss Hooper," said Umbridge sweetly. "That's detentions."

"No! It wasn't her!"

"Professor! She's lying!"

Fred and George tried to retort at the same time, but I said loudly, "No need to cover up for me."

"No, but she didn't—!"

"ENOUGH!" Umbridge shouted, but then cleared her throat and said more calmly, "Come with me to my office, Miss Hooper, if you please."