Arc One Ch. 40

Those too young and old to properly take part in defending the pack territory watched on from a safe distance as guards and those who were usually non combative moved forward as the mutant primates charged forward. The youths curious enough to get a better look at those currently engaging in fights were pulled back by their mother or an elder before being forced back even further. A distinctive line of females had formed who remained defensive as debris would fly overhead towards them in an attempt at distracting them from the smaller primates previously used as scouts.

Kira had long closed off her senses to the outside world in a risky attempt at overwhelming the dormant power lying just beneath the surface and acquiring it as quickly as possible. Much like each fragment of the Tear of Sorrow which had come before she'd mentally prepared for resistance though unlike others it didn't hold consciousness or a will to survive like some. It came away from the vessel with an uncharacteristic ease not felt before and left her feeling slightly strange about the whole experience but didn't have time to dwell on it since she now had the means of creating another miracle and needed to be quick.

Coming back to her full set of senses the smell of blood and death mixed with the scent of uncertainty. There was a cacophony filled with the sickening sounds of bodies being broken as bones were broken that mingled amongst the primal calls from both sides as they fought a bloody battle that would have only one side coming out on top.

The soul within little Kaia continued to keep her eyes on Kira's next actions but didn't have too much time before something felt wrong. It was a strangely cold sensation that passed through her tiny body that left her toes and fingers feeling as if they might fall off in the next moment. Wanting for the first time to actively vocalize her discomfort left the soul conflicted as she continuously reminded herself that she couldn't and felt as if she might also go mad for it.

Nora quickly took notice of her daughter's current state as the small form pressed against her own suddenly became so cold it could be felt though her clothing and sling which covered up Kira's state. Mentally Nora began to fret as her pup turned cold and stiff in her arms, there wasn't anything that could currently be done. She could only watch on while wolves too injured to fight were pulled back behind the defensive line and treated by Healer Zachary's students. Her grip on Kaia tightened, she prayed for the Moon Goddess's protection.

Without warning Kira collapsed to the ground pulling Nora's attention to what was happening around her. She bent down clutching Kaia to her chest while calling out in a panic to Kira who also seemed to suffer a similar condition as her pup. She reached out and gripped onto her hand finding the fingers cold and stiff. "Please wake up Kira!" Her voice was constricted with emotion as she didn't know what to do.

The transmigrated soul within Kaia felt the numbing cold recede though this moment of relief didn't last long. At the base of her skull came a burning sensation and could no longer hold back her tears. The first cry came out small and muffled which quickly swelled in volume. Nora's attention turned back to little Kaia finding her no longer cold and stiff but now burning with fever as her tiny limbs struggled against her hold.

Large tears with a sliver sheen glowing ever so faintly with power, smelling akin to the night of a full moon in winter. Two perfectly round droplets lifted from Kaia's bright red face, Nora watched them float for a moment in the air before dropping down onto Kira face that was turning blue and with an abrupt intake of breath she seemed to recover enough to sit up on her own power. Seeing Kira look around in apparent confusion pricked at Nora's heart feeling like she might've truly lost her friend completely.

Standing up with obvious signs of trouble the wild look in her eyes was blatant to Nora who'd never seen Kira appear in such a way. "Please" Came out strangled and distorted from disuse.