11: Escaping The Unknown

{𝑰 𝑾𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝑵𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑺𝒕𝒐𝒑 𝑻𝒓𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈}~

~

It had been a few days since the disclosure that quaked Khalid's world to the core. When Aditi said that someone was watching him, he didn't expect to hear Kabir's name as an answer to his demand, the thought of being followed by him had never crossed his mind. He didn't even think that a day would come when he would be able to meet him again.

Many questions swirled in his mind. Did Kabir recognize him? If so, why didn't he reach out to him? What was he doing? Was he sent by agency or was he there by himself?

Succumbing to the mighty need to understand, Khalid decided to approach his boss, Luthra. It was either that, or he was going to risk everything and set to find Kabir himself.

Halting all his activities, Khalid decided to lay low and give himself a couple of days off. That decision wasn't made because of the whole Kabir's situation, though, it was because he had collected enough information and did significant damage for the time being. Devak had upped his security game, so any uncalculated move from his part would lead to a disaster.

It was a sunny morning, but he couldn't enjoy the beautiful weather. His brain whacked itself inside his skull, trying to find a sensible explanation to everything that had happened so far.

Khalid was in a dire need for some clarity, so he considered going for a run by the shore, it was the most calming place he could be in at that time, also, it would work well if he managed to meet the Colonel there, far away from any prying eyes.

He didn't know what was he running from, or where was he running to, but Khalid was half-grateful for the Adrenaline bump he got in his veins, it gave him a sharper vision and a more transparent outlook. Until he saw who was waiting for him.

The Colonel stood near a small shop, sipping on a disposable cup as he watched the blue ripples hitting the white sands, standing like a sore thumb with his black coat and dark sunglasses.

"God, couldn't he be more obvious?" Khalid rolled his eyes, who would come to the shore in a long coat?

Pacing around, Khalid checked their surroundings before coming to a stop next to the gray-haired man. He didn't like being paranoid for no obvious reason.

"Hello, Ronnie," Luthra greeted, "long time, no see."

"I was a bit busy," Khalid mocked, attempting to hide his disappointment of not being addressed by his real name.

"I can tell. Here," the older man offered him a bottle of water, "you've been running for a while, you must be parched."

Khalid silently took the bottle off his chief's hand, nodding his thanks.

"You're doing exceptionally well," Luthra announced, taking the sunglasses off, "the data you're providing us with proved to be very important, soon we'll be able to connect all the dots and catch Devak and his boss red-handed."