1

Maya's POV

She was staying. My best friend, my other half, the thunder to my lightning wasn't being ripped away from me. Her mom turned down the job offer in London because it was, and could never be her, their, home.

Their home was here and I couldn't be more thankful.

It had been a couple days since we found out they were staying and Riley wanted a party with all her family and friends, and I was actually all for it, despite not being the biggest party person.

I had decided on wearing black jeans with a black mesh-shirt with red flowers on it, a leather jacket and red converse. I straightened my blonde hair then put a on a little more make up than I would usually do - it was a very special after all.

"Peaches you look beautiful." Riley smiled at me as she finished putting on her lip gloss.

"Thanks Riles, and likewise." I smiled at her.

The party was taking place on the roof of their loft apartment in Greenwich village. All our friends and her family were going to be there.

Which meant her uncle was going to be there.

I had spoken to him only a couple days ago but I missed him. He was at NYU which was close-ish to my apartment but I had yet to tell my dad about the whole 'someday' promise we made a couple months ago at the Ski Lodge, so it's not like I could go see him.

The truth is that I was so, so scared of how he or anyone would react, so I convinced Riley to not tell anyone about it and she said it wasn't her news to tell so thankfully she kept her mouth shut.

However, she did tell Lucas then I told Farkle, Smackle and Zay but I knew they wouldn't tell my parents, or Riley's parents and grandparents.

Topanga had organised a buffet for all the guests as the party was starting at 7pm and most people wouldn't want to eat a big evening meal before coming so she thought it was a sensible idea - which to be fair, was.

________

It was currently a couple minutes to 7 and I was sat in the living room family playing this new game I got on my phone that I was slightly addicted too.

Everyone had already headed up to the roof as guests has started to arrive. Riley went up as soon as Lucas got here and I told her I'd go up as soon as the round I was on off my game was finished.

"Ah there you are, Riley told me to come get you." I looked up as soon as I heard Josh's voice.

"Oh okay," I checked the time on my phone to see it was almost 7.30, "I didn't realise how much time had passed."

"Its okay, you coming?" He asked as he slipped his hands in his pockets of his slightly tight black jeans. He had a burgundy shirt on to match that fitted him rather well and hugged all the right places. "Eyes up here gorgeous."

I tried not to blush but it didn't work. I just stood up and slipped my phone in my back pocket and followed him up to the roof.

________

"Have you spoke to him much?" Farkle came up to me on the roof and asked at about 9pm. I was stood by the buffet table which was by the door which lead downstairs.

"Who?"

"Josh, duh." He teased.

"Not really, I don't exactly know what I'm meant to say to him." I stated truthfully.

"Oh come on, you know that's not true - conversation has always been you guys' thing." He nudged my shoulder.

"Yeah I guess you're right." He started to walk off and my phone started to ring.

I pulled it out of my back pocket and it displayed a number I didn't have saved. I walked downstairs as I answered it. The voice. Female. Familiar. I kept walking back to the Matthews' apartment as she explained what had happened.

I couldn't breathe.

She was texting me more information.

How was I meant to respond or react to what had happened?