FIFTY SIX: Opening Act

As Dabi lead me towards the gated entrance, I felt incredibly heavy beneath his arm. He reeked of scorched flesh and cinders, and I became a strict mouth breather for the first time in my life.

"You sure you won't get into trouble for bringing me here..?" I asked, more concerned about my own hide than his, but I was met with a low chuckle.
"Nah, everybody who's anybody around here knows I've had my eye on you for a while, Dollface. If anything, I'll be congratulated. Brought the boss a pigeon pair!"

I knew exactly what he was talking about, but it was safer to play the fool, so I just returned him an awkward, confused chuckle as we approached the guards, one of which was a familiar face.
"Who the hell is this?!" Slidin' Go took an aggressive step forward, puffing his chest out to seem bigger, not that he really needed to.

"New recruit, and I'm pretty sure you know exactly who she is. You gonna question me?" For someone so lanky, Dabi really seemed to have a lot of confidence when it came to facing up against people bigger than him. I hadn't had the displeasure of fighting the villain myself, but from what I had heard his flames were on par with Endeavor's, at least.

Clicking his tongue, Slidin' Go looked me up and down from behind his mask, obviously recognising me. We had been at some of the same events, after all.
"Songbird. Just what we needed. Another smartass flier..." He grumbled, turning his attention back to Dabi. "Is this some kind of kink of yours?" The ravonet waved him off with a limp wrist, his arm tightening around me.
"I just know talent when I see it. Anywho, you gonna let us in, or what? It's fucking cold out here and I don't wanna have to use you as kindling so we don't freeze to death..."

Like hell you don't...

"Fine, but if she causes any trouble..." The supposed hero trailed off as he glanced upwards, his body stiffening and his finger shooting up to point towards the sky. "Where the hell have you been?! You can't just come and go as you please!" I heard his wings, and I felt their wind, and I slowly turned to see Hawks descend, a steaming to-go cup in his hand.
"Not my fault that the coffee here tastes like boiled shit. Besides, I was under the impression that it was my job...to..."

When our eyes met, his voice petered out, and I could see, behind the sheen of his visor, that he was struggling not to panic. Dabi, again, pulled me just a little closer, leaning forward and smirking at my husband.
"Ah, didn't expect to run into you so soon, man. Look at what I picked up today. A familiar face?" My chest squeezed in the worst way as my cheeks were pinched and squeezed inward, my face hurting from the pressure of his grip.

"Hawks..? You're part of the front..?" I honestly deserved an Oscar for my performance, batting Dabi away so I could step forward, forcing a look of confusion and surprise onto my face. Hawks took a second or two to register the situation, the slight 'o' shape of his mouth stretching into his usual showman smile.

"Well pluck my feathers and stuff 'em into a pillow...This is great!" When he pulled me into his arms, I could feel his pulse, wild and racing, and our fear seemed to melt into one beast. "If I'd known you were so into the cause I would've brought you here myself!" When he pulled back, I could see the cup in his hand quivering, so I quickly snatched it away and took a sip, not that I needed to add caffeine to my nervous energy collective.

"Of course I am! I couldn't put that book I borrowed down!" Turning back to Dabi, I motioned to Hawks with my head, lifting a brow. "Why didn't you tell me?" Amused, and seeming to buy it, Dabi approached and took me under-arm again, using his other hand to reach out and lightly jab the number two in the shoulder.

"What can I say? I'm a sucker for plot twists. Anywho, you two have all the time in the world to be all lovey dovey. You're coming with me so we can get you settled in." Refusing would have been suspicious, but blindly agreeing would have been to, so I made sure to stumble a bit as he tried to pull me into a walk.
"O..oh, uh..?" Looking back to Hawks, I only hoped that he could see what I was trying to silently say to him. For him not to worry, and for him to just play along, for both our sakes. "I..I guess so..? I'll see you later, then, alright?"