Chapter 87

Layla's POV

"Sweetheart?" I hear a soft voice and my head whips to the right as a gasp escapes my lips as my eyes take in who it is.

"G-Grandma?"

My eyes begin to tear up in shock.

Her soft eyes take me in. A proud smile stretching her lips as I rush over to her. Embracing her in my arms as she releases a chuckle.

Her fragile hands run up and down my back as tears of happiness release onto her shirt.

This can't be real...

Was I dreaming?

"I missed you so much grandma." I sniffle. "Things haven't been the same without you. I-I'm so sorry I didn't visit. I had no idea about the letters you sent. When I found them.. I felt horrible." I sob, clutching her tighter.

"Hey, it doesn't matter about that now." She says, her overly missed voice entering my ears, that I hadn't heard for years.

She pulls away, swiping my tears away just like the old times.

"I'm so proud of you Layla." She says, and my surprised eyes meet her green ones.

"You've grown into such a beautiful woman, your mother would be proud." She smiles at me, as another tear runs down my cheek as I shake my head.

"I haven't. She wouldn't." I sob, clutching onto her as if she'd disappear any second.

She shakes her head at me. "She would. And she always will be." She pushes my hair away from my face and I release a small sigh, my eyes closing.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whisper after a while.

She had obviously known from the start too that Luise wasn't my real mother.

"You were too young. I couldn't tell you and break your little heart further." She releases a sigh. "But I always knew someday you would know the truth."

Her wrinkled hands grab a hold of mine, as she rubs her thumbs along my fingers.

"You look just like her." She whisper, her voice thick with emotion, a small smile on her face.

I let out a sigh, averting my gaze, as the main thought that I've always been told, that one thing I always believed... came to my mind.

"I was a mistake." I sniffle. "I shouldn't have been born. Luise.. She--"

"No. No. Don't ever say that." She cups my cheek. Making our eyes meet. "Forgot about what Luise said. She doesn't matter here." She says with a shake of her head.

"Layla... You were the best thing that ever happened to Stella. To me."

My lips tremble at her kind words. "But everyone treated me like shit, even on dad's side of the family." I whisper.

"They hate me. They all hate me. I have no family."

She looks at me sadly, shaking her head.