9 || strange encounters

It was only early evening and the sun hadn't even set yet, but you were already worn out from the long and eventful day you had. It was the most fun you'd had in ages, although the information you learned about Derry was very unsettling.

You plopped down onto the couch, numerous thoughts swirling around your head as you tried to pinpoint exactly what your favorite part of the day was. The water fight was immensely exciting, especially toward the end, when Richie and Eddie, despite being on the same team, began to aggressively splash water at each other, getting everyone else drenched in the process.

Seeing Ben's room was, well, interesting, but it definitely was not your favorite part of the day. You could still hear Ben's voice echoing in your head clearly.

"Ninety-one people signed the charter that made Derry, but, later that winter, they all disappeared without a trace."

Ninety-one. How do ninety-one people go missing without a trace? It bothered you, and no matter how much you willed it to, the burning question wouldn't leave your mind.

So, yeah. Definitely not your favorite part of the day.

What happened after that?

Oh, right. Your walk home with Stanley.

That was your favorite part of the day.

For some reason, the entire day, there was a weird fluttery feeling in your stomach, one that you didn't know exactly how to describe. You found yourself looking over at Stanley way too many times in hopes of seeing him laugh at one of Richie's stupid jokes, or, even better, at yours.

You couldn't help it. It was his fault, really. With his stupidly perfect smile that made an appearance only when he was around his friends and his stupidly perfect hair that you could envision yourself running your hands through.

How was it that no one liked him? It was truly bizarre. He was the perfect mixture of everything you ever wanted, and was just so lovable. In a friend way, of course.

Right?

You don't think about friends like that.

That single thought stuck in your mind, taunting you. It was true. You didn't think about Stanley the same way that you thought about Richie, Bill, Eddie, and Ben. You saw them as brothers and felt nothing but platonic love for them, but with Stanley— with Stanley, you felt something else.

He was the cause of your euphoria, simply put. You could try to blame it on hormones, but you knew it was deeper than that.

You came to the realization that you were falling for Stanley Uris. And you were perfectly okay with that.

—————

You didn't even realize that you had fallen asleep on the couch until you woke up a few hours later, rubbing your eyes wearily and checking the clock on the wall.

1:17 A.M.

Maybe my parents are home by now, you thought.

You slowly stood up and stretched your body, hearing a couple of joints cracking, then headed to your parents' room. You were disappointed but not surprised to find it empty. Examining the cluttered nightstand and vanity mirror, you decided to go through their things. It wasn't like they were there to stop you from doing it anyways.

There was nothing of great importance on the nightstand, just a pair of glasses, a coffee mug, some unimportant letters, and two books, which didn't make any sense since neither of your parents were ever home long enough to read them. You picked them up, your curiosity getting the best of you.

The first book was large, thick, and blue, and was about accounting. Boring, but useful, you supposed.

The second book seemed much more appealing to you than the first one. The cover was also a brilliant blue color, with gold embellishments along the borders. In the center were the words "Pride and Prejudice" written in large cursive letters.

You had always wanted to read Jane Austen's most celebrated novel, and it seemed like today, the universe decided to be nice to you. You scooped up both books in your arms and took them to your room, setting them on top of your bed. Although you weren't a very big fan of accounting, you'd always been a natural at all things math related, so, maybe one day, you'd be able to make your parents proud.

You returned to your parents' bedroom, where you noticed that the comforter was slightly messed up, the corner crinkled.

I could've sworn that it was perfectly straight before, you thought to yourself, but quickly dismissed it.

You walked over to the vanity mirror and looked down at the mess, moving things around and picking stuff up to see if you could find anything that caught your interest. Nothing came up, but you did feel a sudden weird chill down your spine. You glanced up at the mirror to see if there was anything behind you, and you were met with a disturbing sight. The necklace you were holding in your hands slipped out of your fingers and hit the floor with a clatter as a distorted voice spoke up.

"I don't think that's yours, Y/N/N."