Chapter 2

I closed the door behind me, trying not to make any real sudden movements which would only result in me sobbing some more. That would be a total nightmare considering as though how I have to walk through the boys corridor, since Mr. Davis' office was adjacent from there,  just to get back to the main wing and upstairs to my room. Taking a deep breath before turning the silver knob and forcing myself through the corridor, I tried to hide the hairbrush behind my wrist as much as I could incase anyone saw. Unfortunately for me, when I opened the door, Ryan and David were standing at the far end. Near the door that I needed to exit.

Ryan was the worst student here, with his cocky demeanor and a talent for making you feel inferior every time you talk to him. He had been here for almost two weeks. This time. He's the one student from Braxton that's been here more than twice. From what I've been told, he's been in and out of this place for the last two years despite being only fifteen. Next to him was his best friend David, who was actually an okay guy but ever since he associated himself with Ryan he's been entirely unbearable. He knew it was much better to be with Ryan against everyone else than to be alone and have to face Ryan and some other lost puppy he would eventually pick up. Everyone knew that Ryan was in here for stealing and so the boys corridor was on lockdown every night, entirely superstitious of him swiping something.

"Hey Naomi, if your butt is still sore I could come to your room tonight and massage it for you." Ryan teased.

I kept my head down, trying to hide my flushed face and just get to the door as fast as I could but they both had it blocked.

"Come on, you know I'm good for it." They both laughed at me.

I went to turn around and go back but, like an idiot, I ran right into Jasper who came out from the room to the left.

"Guys, leave her alone."

"Jasp...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to run into you." I apologized but he ignored it and kept his eyes focused on them.

If there's one thing you need to know about Jasper it's that he's such a cautionary tale. The absolute nicest guy I've seen come through the Academy in the seven months that I've been here. Jasper was the kind of guy who mostly kept to himself so no one really knows what he's here for, except me. I know the truth.

"Oh okay, I see how it is." Ryan leaned back against the wall. "You'd rather ride the hobby-horse with old hermit over here."

"I said," Jasper began, directing his attention towards Ryan specifically. "leave her alone."

I could feel the tension rising in the room as Jasper's patience were slowly vanishing and, even though Ryan and David were jerks, I didn't want to see anyone here get in trouble.

"It's okay Jasper, I'm leaving anyway."

That was the worst part of the Academy, the striking system. Here at Braxton, whenever you get into trouble, you get a tally marked on your record. Now the tallies very by severity, you could get four tallies just for one offense. The record is readjusted every month, but you only have seven tallies before the Administrators send an email to your family, recommending that you remain at the Academy for another month. Of course, they can object but most do not.

"Don't mess with her again, or I will do all I can to make sure you don't."

Ryan stopped laughing instantly and formed a dark expression. He glanced at me but then walked to Jasper's face and eyed him up and down, trying to intimidate him. "Don't let my jokes fool you, I don't react nicely to threats Jasper."

"And I don't make idle threats Ryan."

"Come on, let's leave hermit here to deal with his sloppy seconds." Ryan said as he walked past and bumped his shoulder against mine.