f i v e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

f i v e

The bed is cold when she wakes up, eyes still heavy from her deep sleep. The room is dark, the curtains still drawn over the windows, and over the glass doors that open to a balcony outdoors.

It takes Adah a moment to collect her thoughts and fumble out of her sleepiness. Her fingers massage her temples, and she takes her hair out of its loose bun immediately, letting the long thick curls cascade down her back. A yawn covets her mouth, and she rubs her eyes before finally feeling awake enough.

She leans over to the bedside table, slender fingers turning an alarm clock towards her. It wasn't even 6 in the morning, yet she couldn't see herself going back to sleep. Another yawn escapes her mouth, and in her drowsy state her eyes flicker over to the right of her. The spot was cold, as if it had been vacant for a while, and her eyebrows furrow curiously.

She pulls the covers away from her, immediately feeling whiplash from the cold sting in the air. Winter was upon them, the days getting shorter and the mornings now coveted in dark. Her eyes fall upon a sweater draped across a back of a chair, so she shrugs that on before stretching her sore limbs. She had slept curled up, unconsciously in a protective manner. Her neck stings, the punctures from the King's canines having sunken a little too deep. She rolls her shoulders to ease it out, before heading towards the balcony doors and pushing them over.

Stepping outside, her bare legs rise with goose bumps and she huddles into the large sweater she wore a little more. The cold felt refreshing to her skin though, and she revelled in it for a few minutes. The sky was a mixture of blue and grey – the day was beginning, but not freed from the dark's clutches just yet. Her eyes look upon the view before her. The King's bedroom was high, and central of the palace, giving her the perfect view of the palace grounds.

The grounds were empty, as expected. Occasionally a few maids or butlers would walk around, already having gotten up to prepare for the day ahead. Otherwise, the paths were free of wolves. Her eyes fixate on the loom of the sky, the bordering to where it meets land.

Her head feels a little more collected than it was yesterday. She decided in that moment, that she couldn't fret or worry about anything, for it was done and couldn't be changed. The moment she was marked, she was mated to the Alpha King. She couldn't change the fact that she now was a mated female – something she didn't think she would ever be after her rejection.

She could only worry about the future.

Her heart thuds. Her future was King Micajah. She knew nothing about him. She only knew of the prophecy, and that told her of the fate of his soul. That alone was terrifying.

A male more wolf than man. In what sense?

She shivers, remembering the violent flames that danced in his eyes, and how his aura was calloused and cold all the time, and how intense the male was. His eyes were like knives in flames, light with silver. He never spoke once to her, expect the time he uttered her name in the bedroom. His voice was velvet, low with a brooding undertone.

A sound snaps her out of her thoughts, and she heads back into the room, shutting the balcony doors and keeping the crisp cold winds out. Her eyes latch onto a maid. The maid seems startled at the fact that Adah is up so early. Her actions were quiet enough not to wake a sleeping individual, and she held a candle to provide little light, not aware the bed was empty.