Chapter Six

VI
• • •

        My eyes shot open in a panic as my heart pounded out of my chest. I quickly calmed down when I realized I was in my bed.

I had had another nightmare, but it wasn't nearly as intense as the last one. I looked over to Ali's bed as I tried to slow my breathing down. Thankfully my reaction hadn't been enough to wake her up.

I let out a sigh and rubbed my eyes, which were unexpectedly wet with tears. Covered in sweat,  I pulled my blankets off of me in efforts to cool down.

I laid there restlessly for what seemed like an eternity, running the dream over and over again in my head. That was always the worst part about my nightmares- the fact that I never forgot them.

Most dreams fade away after you wake up from them, but never my nightmares. Back in the height of my nightmares it was honestly hard for me to tell what was real and what wasn't.

Even though I was now aware of what was a dream and what was a reality, all my nightmares still lingered in my mind and haunted me whenever they got the chance.

I had woken up from my nightmare at 3 am, and it wasn't until 6 am that I decided to finally give up on trying to sleep.

I slugged out of bed, took a long shower, brushed my teeth, and headed back to the room to get ready for the day ahead of me. Ali still hadn't woken up as I sat in front of a mirror and applied makeup, the sun beginning to light up the room.

"Well shit, you're up early," Ali said as she woke up.

"Yeah, I couldn't really sleep," I told her, drinking some more coffee.

"Well, do you have any classes today?" She asked, sitting up.

"Nope.. which now I don't know why I did my makeup," I realized, confused at my own actions. She chuckled.

"I don't either. Do you wanna have a girls day? We can get your mind off whatever's been bothering you- and I know somethings been bothering you so don't try to deny it," she said. I looked over gave her a small smile.

"Am I that easy to read?" I asked.

"Kinda," She scrunched her nose and I chuckled.

"That sounds great, thanks Al," I replied and smiled again.

"Of course- gimme a little while to get ready, though.. not all of us are morning freaks like you."

We spent the whole day shopping at random stores and drinking shitty iced coffee... and it honestly was really nice.

"This was really fun.. I think I blew through last week's pay check, though," I said as we pulled into the dorm lot.

"Well, as my mom always says, money spent on cute clothes is money well spent," she replied, putting the car in park.

We had decided to swing by the dorms to drop off all our things and freshen up a little bit before meeting up with her friends.

"It's gonna be awkward if they don't like me," I said as we got in the car again to head over.

"They'll love you, trust me," she replied, turning on the car and pulling out of our space.

It took us a little while to get there, but we eventually got to the house.

"They don't live in dorms?" I asked as we parked.

"Nah, they all chipped in and rented this place out for a while. It's basically a shack so it ended up being pretty damn cheap," she explained before opening her door. We both got out and walked around to the front of the car. She gave me a big smile and started walking, me following beside her.