Prince of Knights Chp55

**Perhaps death is a metaphor to remind us of a secret of life we failed to notice**Mahmoud Darwish

_________________________________

 Every inch of his skin burned, and Faris knew no water on earth or remedy could alleviate the pain. Every inch of his skin felt as if it was being peeled off by a hot rod. Just as the knight perceived that he was fatally wounded, Faris slumped forward, hitting the dirt face down in the pool of his blood.

Upon the sight of his fallen master, Tufan galloped up to Faris's numb body and started to circle him. The wind stopped completely. It tiptoed closer to the fallen knight with its eyes wide open. Gradually, the aged member of the wind caressed Faris's face, their movements caused the hair on his face, to move. When at last, the knight groaned, the wind sighed in relief.

Faris coughed then spit blood. The crimson water trickled down his chin and coated the tiny stones he lay his head upon. He could not move, every part of his body felt as if someone had ripped it open then sewed it back, while he was alive, bleeding.

Quickly, the wind examined the knight's wounds; upon investigating the injuries. The younger members of the wind breathed a sigh of relief as well. The knight's injuries were not that deep. However, the wind knew that the trauma of Nasser's defeat had caused such a devastating response in Faris.

The Borkan knight sucked in air to satisfy his parched lungs. His arms and legs still worked, remarkably the sword had missed his spine.

Faris opened his eyes and saw that his vision had turned blurry from the blood in his eyes. He blinked twice then prayed. "Ya Allah." He whispered. "I implore you. Your slave calls upon you to permit him to live a bit longer. Allow me to avenge the widows of my tribe. Allow your servant to guard the children and women of his tribe." He murmured, feeling his throat constrict.

Subhan Allah.

After a short while, Faris felt a new determination to sparkle in his heart like the rising sun upon those words. He seized the lower edge of his sword and struck the tip in the earth, and slowly rose to his quivering feet. The world swayed before his eyes. He murmured the names of his Lord under his breath and blinked his eyes.

His back and his thigh felt as if a block of nails and rocks crawled on his skin. Faris felt weakness eclipse his sense as blood oozed from his wounds. His body commenced quivering from loss of blood.

The knight blinked a few times against the blood that rushed in his eyes. Once his sight became clear, Faris took note of the eery silence. Confused, he frowned and lifted his head in time to see two of his spies drag Marwan out from the mud house.

It was then he moved his head to his left and saw Jabbir, Khalid, and a few of Rashideen knights holding Marwan's men hostage by either their collars or placing the tip of their swords on their throat. Badr. The clever man had known that Faris's valiant knights could kill, but not demolish Marwan's men.