9

Alice

"Morning Jessie." I yawn walking into the kitchen.

"Morning- Woah what happened?" She says pointing at my face.

I immediately touch my sore eyes.

I'm not going to tell her I cried all night.

"Oh just... tired," I say looking away. Even though I knew they were still puffy and red.

"I made pancakes." She says turning away from me.

I sit at the table and she places a plate in front of me.

I dig in but when I realize she didn't stop staring at me I stop chewing and lookup.

"You know you can tell me anything, Alice." She smiles softly.

I swallow hard and nod at her. "I know. Thanks." I say. How can I tell her what her own son is doing when he's the only one she has?

Just then Brodie barges into the kitchen causing me to jump startled.

I don't feel hungry anymore. When Aunt Jessie isn't looking I put my plate into the fridge. I wouldn't throw them away after all her hard work.

I run upstairs and into my room. Closing the door and pull my pajama shirt off my head and move around to get dressed for the day. I wear another sweater Jessie lent to me even though it's too big. But it's all I have. I made sure to bring a jacket because I had a feeling Brodie wouldn't wait again.

The car ride was silent. But I wasn't expecting a conversation anyways.

When he parks the car he turns to me and I discreetly scoot away.

"Don't you dare talk to me today. Until I walk through those doors I don't fucking know you." He spits at me and gets out of the car.

With a sigh, I get out too.

~~

I walk into Calculus and my eyes seem to know where he is before my brain does.

Nick was sitting alone in the back of the class his head was down. His arms were crossed under his head and his back muscles flexed through his black t-shirt.

I walk up to his spot and sit down next to him.

I hear some gasps and whispers in the class but I pay no attention.

As soon as I sit onto the cold seat his eyes softly flutter open. He trains those cold eyes on my face in confusion and I smile at him.

"Hi, Nick. I just wanted to say thank you for driving-" I say but he cuts me off.

"You already did. Ten times yesterday." He mumbles and turns his head the other way.

I say nothing but face forward and fold my hands on my lap.

After a few seconds, I feel a warm grip on my thigh causing me to snap my head towards my legs. A large rough hand grips my leg almost painfully. My eyes trail up the veiny forearm and up to his bulging bicep and it looks like it could rip the sleeve of his shirt. I access his face and gasp as I see cuts and bruises.