p r o l o g u e

4 years ago...

Xavier sighed for the third time with his arms crossed as looked around the large campus. Glancing down at his watch, Xavier muttered a curse under his breath.

It was a nice day out in Southern California, the nicest it had been since it had been raining non stop the past week. However, Xavier found himself unable to enjoy the nice weather.

He had always been a punctual guy, always on time for everything and even if he was ever late, no one dared to complain, for he was Xavier Knight for fuck's sake. People waited for him, not the other way around. Yet he found himself standing in the middle of the side walk next to his expensive car, waiting for his sister to show up.

Sure he loved his sister to death and was overly protective over her, but he was a busy man. It had been a year and a half since he had taken over Knight Industries after his father's retirement and things were getting busier, especially with the company expanding globally.

His older brother, Damien Knight, was originally the heir to Knight Industries. However, Damien chose to hand it down to his younger brother, who he deemed to be more worthy of being CEO. Instead, he chose to take over the position of one of head of departments along with their older sister, Stephanie, a decision Damien was quite satisfied with after seeing the success Xavier brought to the company.

Honestly, Xavier knew the real reason was because Damien did not want to spend hours in the office doing paper work.

Xavier let out yet another sigh before thinking back to the conversation he had with his mother just that morning.

"Mama, I'm way to busy right now. I can't. I have to read over a bunch of contracts for the new hotel being built in Shanghai," grumbled Xavier into the phone.

"I know honey, but can't you just do your sweet old mama a favor?" Asked Isabella, trying to get through to her son. "Madison is finally coming home for spring break and your father and I have to take Eli to his soccer game and then Megan to her art class. Please Xavier. UCLA isn't even that far from the office."

At the mention of his younger siblings, Xavier felt his tough facade melt a little. As the third oldest amongst 6 siblings, he adored his siblings, especially the younger ones.

Xavier let out a small sigh, knowing his mother had won. "Alright."

Isabella let out a big grin. She knew that at the mention of his younger siblings, Xavier would give in. Xavier didn't often show his feelings, but his mother knew he had a soft spot for his family.

"Thank you honey. Make sure you pick Madison up at 2:30 in front of the art building! North Campus!"

And that was where Xavier found himself standing exactly 4 hours later, waiting for his younger sister to show up.

Normally, he would've called his driver, Jackson, to pick Madison up, but knowing his mother, Xavier would've gotten an earful on the phone.

Grumbling under his breath, Xavier reached into his suit pocket to grab his phone. But as soon as he brought it out, a petite body collided with his own, causing him to drop his phone as well as everything the person was holding.

Before Xavier could glare at the person, his eyes locked onto the most beautiful pair of brown eyes he had ever seen.

Time seemed to stop for Xavier as he continued to gaze intently into her eyes. She was too busy being appalled at her own clumsiness to notice his staring.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry," blurted the girl in front of him, her soft, yet panicked voice causing him to break out of his trance. She quickly bent down in embarrassment, trying to gather the things that had fallen from her tote bag.

Unable to form any words, Xavier quietly bent down to grab his fallen phone and help the blushing girl pick her things up. He helped grab a sketchbook and what seemed like plastic triangles used for drawing as the girl quickly gathered the pencils and pens that had fallen out of her pencil case.

"God, why am I so clumsy and stupid. I really need to watch where I'm going," muttered the girl, brushing a piece of loose hair away from her face, as she stood up at the same time as Xavier. He quickly handed the things back to the girl. "Thank you and sorry again for bumping into you."

For the first time, Xavier seemed to be speechless. He was in awe of the beauty standing in front of him. She was different than the typical girls he would have found attracted, not that it happened often. She seemed to be Asian, but not completely, perhaps a mix. He wasn't entirely sure. Her dark brown hair with light grey highlights running down through the locks framed her face in an effortless king of way. However, it was her brown eyes which held a hint of innocence that caught his attention.

Before he could say anything, she quickly scrambled off in the direction she was heading towards before running into Xavier. He watched her run off without turning back and for the first time in his life, he wanted to run after her.

"Xavier!" Shouted a familiar, but breathless voice behind him before he could do anything. "Sorry, I left something in the the studio, so I had to run back to grab it."

He turned around to meet his younger sister, catching her in his embrace as she tried to catch her breath.

"No worries," muttered Xavier as he grabbed her bag from her hand. He turned around once more in the direction of where the girl ran, hoping to catch her silhouette one last time.

But to his dismay, she was already gone.

❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎

Hope you guys enjoyed the prologue! More to come soon^^