Chapter 20: Reassurance

*cocaine*

§

"Are you high?" I asked. Tom clenched his jaw, and I could see it in the slight shift of his expression that he wanted to take the words right back. He looked away from me. "Hey," I whispered, putting my fingers on his cheek to make him look at me. "Talk to me."

"I'm fine," he said. "Just a stressful meeting. I needed to cool off." I sighed and shook my head, then pressed my forehead to his.

"You've gotta quit it," I told him. "It's not good for you."

Tom chuckled. "I do a lot of things that aren't good for me."

"I'm being serious," I said, tugging gently at his hoodie strings. "I don't want to see something happen to you someday."

"Nothing's gonna happen," he said.

"I'd have a way easier time believing that if you weren't high right now."

Tom sighed and pulled me closer to him, nuzzling his face against my neck. He started peppering kisses across my skin, and I couldn't help but thread my fingers in his hair again. He made me like putty in his hands. When he bit my skin, I let out a quiet moan and tilted my head to the side. Tom chuckled and licked the skin he bit. "I've been told," he muttered, "that I fuck even better when I'm high."

I scoffed. "Just what every girl wants to hear," I told him. "That other people have told you that."

"Come on, petal," he cooed. "I don't care about any girls but you."

"Oh fuck off," I laughed, pushing his face away from me. "Don't be a kiss ass." He grinned and looked at me. His eyes were squinting because he was smiling so big. I brushed some hair away from his forehead. "A month ago, I wouldn't have ever cared if anything happened to you," I told him. "But things are different now, and I really care about you. And I don't want you to get hurt. Coke isn't something to mess with."

Tom rolled his eyes with a grin, and I just put my hands on his cheeks. "I'm not in control of your life," I told him, "and I know that. You have no reason to listen to me, ever, but-" I hesitated, not wanting to overstep or upset him. Tom whispered my name, urging me to continue. I took a deep breath and did. "Think about your mom, you know? Don't you think she wouldn't want you to do this?" Tom clenched his jaw, swallowed thickly, and started looking away from me. "Hey," I whispered, turning his head to face me again. "I'm just watching your six." This made him smile and press another kiss to my lips.

"Thank you," he said. "And you taste like peanut butter." I pushed his face away from me with a laugh and stood up from the daybed.

"Well, you taste like cigars," I said back. "But I'll go brush my teeth."

"Thank god," he said sarcastically. I stuck my tongue out at him and left his room. As soon as I stepped outside his door, I ran into April.

"Jesus," I said, jumping a bit. "What are you doing? Were you eavesdropping?"

"I couldn't hear anything," she said with a shrug.

"April!"

"What?" she said. "This is weird. Are you guys, like, fucking?"

"Dude," I said, rolling my eyes and walking past her.

"It's a valid question," she said. "I thought you hated each other."

"We haven't hated each other for a long time," I said. "I think that's pretty obvious."

"So you're friends," she said. "With benefits?"

"I don't know what we are, okay?" I said.

"But you fucked?"

I rolled my eyes. I knew she wouldn't let it go. And if it was any other guy, I would've told her right away. There was no reason I should hide it from her because it was Tom. "Yeah," I said. "Yeah, we fucked. And I like him a lot, okay? And he likes me too."

Without missing a beat, April said, "Yes! Harrison!" she called through the house. "You owe me ten bucks!"

"Dude!" I said, slapping her arm. "You bet on us?"

"Of course we did," she said. "The sexual tension has been radiating off of you two for a month."

"I hate you so much."

I went down to my room and hopped in the shower. When I got out, I changed into some leggings and a t-shirt. It may've been summer, but it was getting cold, as was life in New York. The weather was rarely steady or consistent. I brushed my teeth and my hair, deciding to let the latter air dry for the day. I didn't want to put on any make-up, so I opted out and left to go hang out with the others. Harrison and April were sitting on the couch, so I joined them. "Got any plans for today?" I asked.

"Don't think so," April said.

"We could train?" Harrison offered.

"It's the weekend," April said. "Weekends are rest days."

"The bad guys never rest," Harrison countered.

Tom came into the room then dressed in joggers and a t-shirt. He smiled and sat next to me, putting his arm around my waist and pulling me close to his side. I bit my lip to hide a smile and rested my head on his chest. No one said anything until Harrison blurted out, "This is going to take some getting used to." I looked up at Tom who was still smiling. He looked down at me and pressed a kiss to my nose. "Who are you, and what have you done to Tom Holland?" Harrison asked.

"Mate, keep your comments to yourself," Tom said, wagging a finger at Harrison. He was still smiling though, so we all chuckled. I picked up the TV remote and turned it on, opening up the Netflix app and started to flick through movies and TV show titles.

My phone vibrated in the waistband of my leggings, so I pulled it out and looked at it. A reminder appeared on my screen that said RENT CHECK . "Mm, April," I hummed. "Rent's due tomorrow."

"I mailed the check yesterday," April said.

I sighed. "I can't believe we have to pay rent for an apartment we're not even living in."

"True," April agreed. "But we can't exactly get evicted without Mom and Dad finding out." I scoffed and turned my full attention back to the TV again. After a few beats of silence, Tom spoke.

"We need to hold another meeting," he said, addressing Harrison.

"Oh?" Harrison said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Tom said. "Tell Harry and Sam to call their guys."

"Now?" Harrison asked.

"I want the meeting tonight," Tom said. "So, yeah, now." Harrison nodded and stood up from the couch to go find and talk to Harry and Sam. I looked at Tom with crinkled eyebrows.

"What's the meeting for?" I asked. "Didn't you just have one this morning?"

"This one's different," Tom said. "You'll see."

"I'll see?" I asked.

"You'll see," he said with a nod.

~
Make sure to vote
~