Chapter 36

Alice, Marlene, and Jenna had changed into their Hogwarts robes by the time the train came to a stop in Hogsmeade station and so they made their way towards the horseless carriages as Lily joined them.

     But when they entered the Great Hall, they lost sight of Marlene. Although, as they started the feast, Marlene came back with an excited glimmer in her eyes.

     "Guess what Mary MacDonald said that Bertha Jorkins had told her!" she said feverishly with a grin.

     "Bertha Jorkins?" Alice mused.

     "That sixth year Slytherin girl who starts all the rumors," said Lily disapprovingly. "Mar, please tell me you're not excited over what Bertha Jorkins has been gossiping about."

     "Ooh, what's the new gossip?" Jenna said interestedly at Marlene.

     "Finally! Someone who appreciates good fresh gossip!" Marlene clapped cheerfully before lowering her voice and saying, "Apparently, Bertha has caught Black on the train with Gwenog Jones."

     Jenna's smile faded quickly by hearing those words and looked down at her plate with a frown.

     "Are you going to talk to him about it, Jenna?" Marlene asked with an amused grin.

     "Why?" Lily frowned in confusion.

      "Ooh! Didn't Jenna tell you!?" Marlene squeaked excitedly.

     "You're such a gossip queen, Mar," Alice chuckled.

     "So? Without me, you'd all be stuck in the dark!" said Marlene proudly. "So I'll be waiting for my crown now, thank you very much."

     "You were saying...?" Lily questioned, raising a brow at Marlene.

     "Oh, right!" Marlene shook her head, remembering. "Sirius showed up by our compartment and when he found out that Jenna hadn't opened his Christmas present, he started crying—"

     "—What!?" Lily, Alice, and Jenna exclaimed together.

     "He didn't cry," Jenna rolled her eyes. "Mar, if you're going to tell the story, at least say it accurately."

     "But — where would be the fun in that?" Marlene questioned. "Life means nothing without a bit of drama!"

     "Just go on," said Lily impatiently, smiling.

     "Ugh, whatever," Marlene rolled her eyes, but quickly grinned again. "Anyway! He was all hurt when he found out, and next thing we know — BAM! He's been seen snogging Jones! Coincidence?" she asked in a dramatically mysterious voice. "I think not!"

     "What do you say, Jen?" Lily asked, turning to face her.

     "I really couldn't care less," Jenna shrugged, sipping on her drink, even though her blood was boiling from inside.

     "Oh, come on, Jen," Marlene said with a sly and evil grin. "You know you wanna beat him up. I know you do."

     "Marlene," Lily said warningly.

     "What? I wasn't going to send her alone! I was willing to help beat him!"

     Jenna laughed, shaking her head. "Look, Mar," she said. "As much as I praise your violent intentions, but I'm not going to give Sirius the satisfaction. He's obviously trying to annoy me. Which I'm not."

     Marlene suddenly frowned, her expression changing quickly as she frowned, looking puzzled.

     "What is it?" said Lily.

     "Do you smell that?" Marlene said anxiously, sniffing around.

     "Smell what?" Jenna asked.

      "Something's on fire... and I think it's Jenna's pants!"

***

The next day, the classes started once again and if the fifth year students thought that the first semester was as rough a they could get, they soon came to realize that they were wrong.

Homework after homework was set on them, along with numerous essays and quizzes, to test them for the upcoming O.W.Ls.

But other than her studies, Jenna had her Quidditch practices busying her and she immediately went to McGonagall to book the pitch for that evening, even though it was freezing outside.

She was determined to win the match against Ravenclaw. Because even though they had managed to beat Slytherin, they were still ahead of them in score.

The only people who seemed completely unbothered by both O.W.Ls and Quidditch and felt full confidence towards them both, were James and Sirius.

It's been said that the job for Defense Against the Dark Arts was jinxed. And the curse of poor Professor Gates was definitely those two boys.

As Professor Gates was teaching them about Vampires, it seemed like Sirius ans James would not stop talking, in the middle of a serious conversation about a map, as Jenna caught a few words.

"Mr. Potter! Mr. Black!" he called out loudly, getting their attention. "Why do I hear you talking?"

"Er... because you have ears?" James said it as if it should've been obvious and then turned to Sirius and scoffed, muttering, "What's with this guy?"

Professor Gates gritted his teeth together, but decided not to say anything else on the matter and go back to teaching.

But they had gone too far as they continued their conversation and Professor Gates had finally had enough. "Boys!" he snapped. "Why are you talking during my class!?"

"Why are you teaching during our conversation!?" Sirius retorted.

"Detention! Both of you!"

James sighed dramatically, shaking his head. "Oh, deer."