Chapter 23

Meeting up with Lucas terrified me as I sat at a table in the Little Bean waiting for him. He might have been Michael's world, but to me, he was the stranger that could very easily save, or destroy, everything I'd spent years working on.

The letter I'd found on my windshield a few days ago lay on the table before me, the envelope hiding the cruel words within. Michael and one of my coworkers were manning the counter while I waited for the lawyer to arrive. My hands kept tightening into fists, the temptation to run building with each passing moment.

I'd almost given up hope that he'd even show up when a well-dressed man sat down across from me.

"Sorry I'm a bit late. You must be Ryan. I'm Lucas, it's nice to meet you." He extended a well-manicured hand that I took shaking it timidly. Everything about him screamed lawyer and upper class, from the briefcase to his perfectly pressed suit. Next to him, I felt like scum in my large sweater and sweatpants.

"Hi..." My voice wavered slightly as I reclaimed my hand, settling it down on top of the letter, my other one pressing lightly against my stomach.

"Do you mind if I get comfortable before we get started?" Lucas asked, his light blue eyes sparkling as he undid the tie and shucked the suit jacket. "Ah... so much better. Alright, so Michael has filled me in on what is going on between you and your ex. Something about a patented idea that he's trying to take from you?"

"Y-yes... my Omega Serum." My voice cracked, making me wince. "Sorry... I don't know why I'm so nervous."

"It's fine." He waved his hand as if he could blow away my concerns. "I get it, a lot of people are nervous when they have to sit down with a lawyer for the first time. In your case it's a good thing because it tells me your intentions are pure. You aren't doing this for the money and this wasn't even your idea I bet, knowing Michael."

"I... well yeah it was Michael's idea but... I mean... I really do want to protect my idea from Andrew. He's stolen a lot of the credit over the years for my discoveries and now he's trying to take this from on top of making it impossible for me to finish my dissertation or get another job in a lab." Anger and frustration darkened my words, my hands balling up once more, the envelope and letter crinkling beneath them. "And then this showed up on my car and it can only be from him!"

I shoved the letter angrily across the table toward Lucas. Struggling to get myself under control as he opened it and read through it.

"Alright, so what I'm hearing is that you are fighting to protect your patented idea from an abusive, controlling ex. Is that right?" He held up his hands before I could answer. "Let me clarify what I mean by abusive. I'm talking less physical and more emotional. He stripped you of a lot of what would make you who you are, or tried to, and now even though you left him he's still doing that."

"Correct. I don't care about his money or getting retribution, but I know him. I know that he will just take my idea and twist it as a way to make even more of a name for himself, and then he'll sell the Serum to the highest bidder."

"I can see why that would be irritating." Lucas nodded having flipped open a notebook as I was speaking and quickly jotting down information. "And this Serum, it can turn men into 'Omegas' correct?"

"Well the term Omega is just what I'm calling myself but yes... it allows men to become pregnant." My teeth dug into my lip as Lucas glanced over at me, noting my large stomach in interest. "And yes, I am pregnant, I chose to use it on myself to make sure it worked properly."

"Of course, and do you have anyone that can stand up for you and testify when this was, or that you've had access to the Serum longer than your ex?" Lucas looked up again, his eyes locking with mine as he asked.