Chapter 8- Chasing parties

A million people in this town
But I could scream without a sound.
Wishing that I was somewhere else.
I talk to voices in my head
Because at least they're listening
I'm done getting home past two,
done chasing bodies,
done chasing parties
I'm done getting wasted in someone's basement.
I'm done cause I finally found you..

                                                     - Sasha Sloan

For this chapter, listen to chasing parties by Sasha Sloan.

Lindsey loved shopping. She loved the perfumed, air conditioned mall. She was a shopaholic, I should say. It was a compulsion to her. She would rather eat bread without peanut butter in it for a whole month, so she could have more money to shop than eat a proper diet.That was just her.

We both entered the mall and headed to the shoe store first.

Lindsey searched around for shoes to wear whereas for me, I spent time reading labels on the shoes before I could try them on. I mean, what was a fashion sense without a label. I liked wearing clothes and shoes that had a brand. That's what I called modern shopping. I guess that's why Lindsey loved coming to the mall with me. I had great taste in my clothes and shoes. No offense.

"How's this shoe?" She asked pulling out a Nike Air Force sneaker from the shelf.

"Uh, not bad... is that all you've chosen?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess. I love this one. It's so cute." She said quite contented with her choice.

The sneaker wasn't bad at all but, I had already set my eyes on an adidas superstar shoe. It was white in color, had a rubber shell toe with a mix of leather and a herring bone patterned outsole. I loved it and I guessed it was perfect for her.

"Try this on... its super cute." I gave her the shoe. She tried it on and her leg looked perfect in it.

"You should  buy it. It's super dope. You'll rock it tonight." I gave her a thumbs up.

"I'm so taking it. I love it." She smiled looking at her reflection through the mirror. "How about you? What are you wearing?" Her eyes met mine through the mirror.

I looked through the collection of adidas shoes and then my eyes set upon Supercourt shoes. They were gorgeous but looked quite expensive. I checked their price tag and it was 58dollars. "I love these ones, but they quite look expensive." I picked them out of the shelf.

"Oh come on, just take them. We shall sort out the price later. They're so cute." A smile formed on Lindsey's lips.

We got to the counter and there was an old woman, not the kind you pity with their old bones and feeble limbs, but the kind who could still run an army kitchen given half a chance.

She stood quite tall and slim, her short grey hair neat and likely styled with old fashioned rollers, the kind women used to sleep in. Her face was made up with discrete makeup except her lips that were cherry red. Were she any paler, her mouth would be garish, but against her sun kissed skin, it looked right.

"Yes, how can I help you ladies?" She spoke.

"We would like to pay for the shoes we just got here."Lindsey replied, pulling out her purse and handing her the cash.

When she extended her hand to get the money from Lindsey, I could see soil beneath her finger nails. A gardner too I'd bet. Then I noticed her neck scarf, patterned with small flowers, bet she had the best front yard in her streets.

We finally left the shoe shop after our shoes are packaged and found our way to the clothing store. We took about an hour searching for the non clothes Lindsey didn't have in her closet. It was quite hectic, but I couldn't speak my heart out. Shopping was so tiresome.