Epilogue: 15 Years Later

15 years later

It's been 15 years since everything ended. I can't even believe it. Every year since then, we've been meeting up here, in New York, to catch up.

Chloe, Nava and Ryan have all finished university, with the twins being groomed to take over their parents' company. Nava, on the other hand, is running a successful fashion empire. It's always been her dream to own a large fashion company, and now, she has it. I may have helped with the original investment, but Nava's paid me back 3 times over in the short 8 years the company's existed. Even my accountants call that a very good investment. Coming from them, that's the highest compliment possible.

Talia, along with her girlfriend, got fast-tracked through medical school, paid for by Witness Protection, and are now happily enjoying their jobs as medical field agents. What they can do, it's pretty awesome.

Mia and Noah got married 2 years after the whole...situation. Yeah, 15 years later and we still don't have quite of a good enough name for what happened.

Anyway, Mia and Noah are happy. They're absolutely perfect for each other, although rumour has it he asked Alan for permission to marry her, and he nearly peed himself in the process. Anyway, in the end, Alan was very accepting of their relationship and even walked Mia down the aisle. That was a day full of tears, both happy and bitter.

Both of them still work for Witness protection, I mean, they are only 34 years old. Now, Mia runs the whole place, having taken over Alan's job. At first, people thought that the only reason that the job was given to her was that she was a woman and it would do well for public image. That was kind of a very dumb idea seeing as the general public has absolutely no idea who runs witness protection, for everyone's safety.

Needless to say, she quickly proved that she was, in fact, the best person for the job. Her slightly calmer job allowed her to take a few weeks (she really did have more time if she wanted it) off after she had her children. Let me just say right now that those two are so much like their mother it is actually kind of scary. By ten years old, both her son and daughter were able to tackle and take down some of the best agents at witness protection. In the end, there was a lot of hurt feeling courtesy of some of the field agents. Zach and I got plenty of good laughs out of their stories.

Blake and Xavier got married five years ago. Yes, those two idiots danced around each other for many more years even after everything had happened. It was actually ridiculous and probably made me and Mia lose more than a few strands of hair thinking about it.

I remember when they announced their engagement. Mia fainted. When she woke up it was chaos. We were all so excited for them.

Years later, they adopted a baby boy. He's almost 3 years old now and makes every one of us laugh all the time. He's just like his dads. Now, they are planning to take in a little girl. Xavier and Blake both confessed to me separately, on different occasions that they were absolutely terrified of this decision. They both want it so much, but they've never been around girls. Anyway, I told them that I'd support them no matter what they chose to do. I'd also help them with their little ones.

And me and Zach? Well, we dated for a while. We broke up about 2 years in. It wasn't working out. We stayed best friends, but a relationship was too time-consuming. We both had companies to run, people constantly breathing down our backs for every small, little thing.

I couldn't live without him.

We got back together 4 months after our breakup and have been together ever since.

After 6 years of dating, we got married and recently celebrated 8 years of marriage. We have three beautiful children: Rebecca who's 7 and a half, Michael who's 5 and a half, and little Mylie who's almost three. Let me tell you if you forget the 'and a half' from the ages of the older two... well, nothing good will come out of that.

So yeah, in the end, we're all doing great. We've all moved on, but none of us have forgotten. And I'm sure none of us ever will.

One thing I've done, at least for myself, is that I've managed to get into contact with some of the friends I made during my many years away from home. To say there was a tremendous amount of tears would be a gross understatement.

Most were understanding, and a few times I've ended up talking to their husbands instead because my friends had to sit down for a few minutes.

All in all, life was good, and it was getting better day by day.

That brings us back to today. Today is the day that Sasha is getting out of prison. After 15 long years, she's going to be a free woman.

She's spent the last 15 years in therapy, trying to undo everything her parents have done to her.

Over the years, Chloe, Ryan and Sasha became...friends. They weren't close by any stretch of the word, but at least they could all tolerate one another. Sasha's psychologists have all confirmed that their friendship has really helped her improve, and begin to recover.

Neither of them has gotten married yet, instead of being focused on their jobs. All I know is that Chloe wants someone who's just as business savvy as her, and that she hasn't found that perfect someone just yet. I also know that Chole suspects that her brother's got a secret lover but we don't have any evidence about that just yet. I mean, he does seem happy, and I've been seeing the improvement for years now, but I just thought it was him going to therapy and slowly forgiving what happened.

Anyway, now, just like 15 years ago, we're sitting in the tiny little ice cream shop, eating an outrageous amount of ice cream for people our age. We all left the kids with mine and Zach's nanny. Let me tell you, I can basically guarantee that those kids will be perfect by the time we're done with today. That lady is terrifying. Don't get me wrong, I love her and I trust her with mine and my kids' lives, but she's really strict. She terrified me when I was 6, and now, my kids have the same relationship.

"Ok. You guys ready?" Mia asks us.

"Yep." We all say, looking around one another.

"Let's go to court." She says as she gets up.

Usually, when someone gets out of prison, it means they are done. No more courts. Unless they commit another crime, but that's a different story. Anyway, because this is such a high profile case, and what happened was so high scale, she needs a judge to sign some paperwork to make sure she's able to be released.

So, we're all going to watch that happen.

When she gets out, she's going to be staying with Chloe and Ryan. From what I hear, she's going to try and give back to the community by doing a ton of charity work. All of her inheritance and parents' money isn't going to be released to her until she's able to prove that she can responsibly live in the outside world, ao she's going to have to work for it.

After 20 minutes in a few separate cars, we finally get to the courthouse. Hopefully for the last time because of this whole thing.

When we enter, I see Sasha, standing there looking like a normal person. I see my friends around me, and I know everything will be ok, just as it's been becoming over the last few years. Finally, I see my beloved husband, the father of our children. And then I knew, my life isn't perfect by any means, but I've got an amazing life, and I know that I can get through any challenges it will bring to me.

"Ok, let's do this," I say, and I feel Zach squeeze my hand.

****************************

First Published April 19th, 2020.

Hello Everybody!

This is the official final chapter of this story. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Thank you for sticking around throughout this entire book! Soon, I'll publish a new story, so be on the lookout for it if you want to check it out.

Happy Reading,

Dani💙