Chapter 3

I fixed my hair and put on a spray of perfume before I headed down towards Mr. Davis' office for the second time today. I wonder what happened that would make him want to see me before dinner rather than afterwards like we had planned. We normally meet after dinner because we know we won't be rushed nor disturbed because everyone would be settling in for the night since it was Friday and our "free time" doesn't start until tomorrow. Nevertheless, I remained cautiously optimistic as I passed everyone through the halls, some of whom were giving me curious looks. A lot of students here didn't know that I was adopted by Mr. Davis and that made it very suspicious that I spent more time than usual in his office. They more than likely think that I'm always getting punished, which wouldn't be entirely false.

I knocked on his door even though it was wide open and took a step inside. He was facing the windows, sitting in his chair, more than likely pondering something.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked somewhat cheerfully, trying to hide my concern.

"Yes, sit down." He spun his chair around so he was facing me and it was then I realized that his expression was nothing short of anger. "I want to show you something."

"O-okay?" I asked confused.

He turned his computer monitor around, placed his hand at the bottom of his chin, and stared at me as I watched it. It was a video from around two weeks ago, me and Kayla were outside in the backyard with my phone. Making a bunch of different phone calls.

"You have your phone," he paused the video and leaned forward in his chair. "but I distinctly remember grounding you from it that week. Am I correct in this?"

"Yes sir." I said quietly.

"Did you ask Mr. Patry to use it? Because you certainly did not ask my permission." He stood up, resting on his knuckles against the table.

"No sir, I didn't ask for it." I shrunk back in my chair.

"So tell me, where did you get your phone?"

I hesitated on that question because I knew the answer would for sure send him on a rage that would leave me six-feet under. Actually more like eight-feet because he would definitely go the extra two feet to make sure I knew how screwed I am. He cleared his voice, signaling his loss of patience for my silence.

"In your desk drawer sir"

He nodded his head, casually walking behind me and slamming his office door shut. I felt like the room was shrinking around me and I was suffocating from all the intensity.

"So we have three issues we need to address; disobeying a direct order, lying, and stealing." He leaned back against his desk.

"Lying? I didn't lie about anything...."

"Yes you did, because you took something from me without telling me."

That actually made me really angry at him. He's just trying to chalk up all these minor implications to get me more into trouble.

"I just didn't tell you something you don't need to know." I said defensively and bravely if I may say so.

His eyebrows raised and he stood up so he was towering over me. "Don't you dare sit there, after everything that I've done for you these past few months, and tell me what I do and do not need to know!"

I put my head down and remained quiet. He had done a lot for me lately, especially saving me from a foster home, and making sure I had everything I need to at least try to continue living my life as normally as possible.

The severity in the room was eventually broken with a ring. "Yeah Jim?"

He turned his back to me and nodded his head before saying "She's going to be here for a while. I was doing the monthly check-in with the security cameras and I caught Naomi on her phone, which she stole from my desk around two weeks ago."