FIVE

MOTEL

"Guys we should report the wreck to the coast guard. Maybe we'll get a finders fee." Kie suggested hopefully. She wanted the boys to drop it and not go to the motel.

Her eyes flickered over to River for support, but the girl just shrugged in response and turned away from the group. She didn't really feel like talking right now.

"Yeah and not work all summer. Thanks Agatha ya batch." JJ smirked at the idea.

He looked over to River who was looking out at the horizon, she hadn't said a word since JJ snapped at her. He felt guilty but he knew she wouldn't talk to him yet. He wanted to go over to comfort her, but he knew that she'd just shrug him off.

The five arrived at the office for the coast guard to report the boat, but due to the hurricane, it was extremely busy.

Kie pulled River aside while the boys walked in. She raised her brows before asking, "What happened earlier with JJ?"

"He called me reckless and fucking stupid." River sighed, she ran her hand through her hair. "I'm sick of being called fucking stupid. All I was trying to do was help John B, he's my family." She just felt like she needed to get everything off of her chest.

River felt like she could rant for hours and let out every unexpressed emotion, but judging from Kie's wide eyes, she didn't want to her about it. Either that or she was in shock at the girls fast talking.

"I-" Kie went to comfort her best friend hit instead Pope cut her off.

"Well that went well." Pope said, placing his hands in his pockets. He looked between John B and JJ, wondering what they had in mind on what to do next.

"So what's the plan?" JJ questioned resting his arm on John B's shoulder, he glanced over at River, who was still pissed.

He ran his tongue over his bottom lip as he looked at her. Her blue eyes were filled with sorrow and her nose was scrunched up slightly, which he found adorable. River turned to look at the boy, who quickly offered her a small smile in return.

"I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat." John B said holding up they key for the motel room.

"This is a bad idea." River interrupted. "Anyone could be living there." She pointed out.

If JJ didn't like her being reckless and stupid, then she was going to be the complete opposite. She'd do it to prove a point. She'd be the complete opposite of what he ripped into her for.

"Oh come on, Ri, let us have a little fun." JJ said almost pleadingly. He clamped his hands together and widened his eyes innocently, sticking out his bottom lip to make him pout.

"Isn't it too reckless and fucking stupid for you?" River snapped back.

Kie had to cover her mouth to prevent herself from laughing. She was using JJ's own words against him and the look on JJ's face made everything ten times funnier. He seemed taken back and his mouth flung open.

"Excuse us a minute would you guys?" JJ clenched his jaw, grabbing River's wrist and pulling her away from the group.

He knew what she was doing. He knew that she was using his words. He also knew that he should apologise for what he said so they could make up. He didn't like it when she was upset with him.

"What?" River looked up to him, her blue eyes slightly glossed over with tears.

She hated that every time she got angry, she felt like she was going to burst into tears at a moments notice. She hated that all her unexpressed emotions came out when she was upset.