three

+ boxes +

+ boxes +

Everyone stood in the kitchen, a small smile on my face as I watched Kai and Firth being the crates of food which had just been brought in by the Peacekeepers for the Victory holiday tonight, every household getting a box similar to ours. The only thing was that we were getting about ten times of what they were getting, Firth setting one of the island as I walked over, pulling the top of it off, looking into it.

There was freshly made loads of bread, and not just the green bread that we had in District 4, but the lush Capitol bread that I had been eating for the past few days. Next to it was a large bowl of peanuts as i grabbed one, popping it into my mouth as I chewed on it, grabbing the loaf of bread out of the box, smelling it gently as I set it back into the box, apples and all kinds of fruit sitting in it as well, wrapped up neatly in white paper.

Something flipped within me like a switch as I suddenly imagined this crate being one of the black boxes that sat inside the cornucopia, the bread transforming into a folded knife holster as I dropped the lid I was holding in one of my hands, taking a small step back. As it dropped to the floor it fell with a loud clatter, the wood hitting the pristine marble floors as everyone turned to look at me as I zoned back into reality.

"Are you okay?" Firth asked me as he extended his hand to touch my arm. I flinched under his touch, pulling my arm out of his grasp quickly as I took a small step away from him, staring at him as everyone stared at me. My breathing got a bit heavier as I nodded my head, scrunching my eyebrows as I looked down at the ground for a moment, trying to remember that I was at home, even though my surroundings were just as unfamiliar to me as the arena was.

"Yeah" I said quietly, looking back up, my eyes looking over my mom who was staring at me, her hand in a box as she pulled something out, her eyes glazed with worry. "I need to go to the bathroom" I said quietly, making me way out of the kitchen, leaving them all in silence as I walked down the hall quickly.

I realised that I had no idea where the bathroom actually was, deciding to go up the stairs , turning the corner to see one of the doors open, a bathtub in my view as I dashed into the room, closing the door behind me. I leaned against the door, locking it quickly as I looked around, the large bathtub behind accompanied by a matching toilet, the marble countertops having a deep basin, a large mirror above it.

I let out a small breath, walking over to the sink as I stared at myself in the mirror. The hollow figure staring back at me was unfamiliar, the Capitol makeup I had slapped on my face still being immaculate despite the amount of tears I had shed today. I turned the tap on, letting the cold water stream out as I watched it escape down the drain, almost wanting to go with it, escaping the peeling eyes of my friends and family downstairs.

I reached up into my hair, pulling the large quantity of pins out of my hair, setting them on the counter top as the braids fell onto my back. I gently pulled them out, letting my hair fall over my shoulders as I looked back up at the mirror. I didn't look like me, the Capitols makeup slapped on my face keeping me from being myself once again.