C h a p t e r 8 - Exs got me vexed

Oliver's POV:

It was really hard to sleep that night. Maybe I should call her? No, she'll think that it's weird. Maybe I'll visit her after work? Nope, she thinks I'm stalking her. Ughh why is it so hard, I mean I've dated before but it's always hard to talk to them.

I got out of bed and my phone started to ring out of control. Let me guess is it, my father? I picked up my phone and the bright letters spelled out "FATHER" I pressed answer and my father loud voice almost damaged my eardrums. "I TOLD YOU TO CALL YOUR MOTHER AND TELL HER IF YOU WERE GOING TO COME TO THE GET-TOGETHER TONIGHT" "Jesus Christ Dad can you please stop yelling I was going to call her soon"

***

The call went on for about five minutes me and dad seem not to be able to agree on anything except to argue. My mother didn't want me to go to work today because she has this yearly get together. She invites people so she can show off how much money we make.

Around 4:00 pm I got dressed and drove to my parents' house. I wore a nice regular T-shirt with some casual looking dress pants.

To be fully honest, I didn't want to go. I love my mother but I can't stand her friends! They ask the same questions. Oliver, are you still single? when will you get married? so on and so on. I know girls get asked these questions all the time, how do they deal with this.

I ring the doorbell and my mother opens it. "Sweetheart you're finally here!" She says in a very exciting tone.
"Hey, mom I hope that I didn't keep you waiting," I say
She leads me in and I feel so tired already, why do I do this to myself every year?

I make my way to the back yard where all the men are I see my father at the grill. I made my way to say hello someone caught my eye.

Alice's POV:
I used to love jogging. Chase and I would go jogging every morning until he started getting 'busy'. I wish that I didn't stop I like to see the squirrels in the trees and the couple's having picnics. I knew I could go running without him but I thought it would be something special that we could do together but he didn't really seem to care after some time. I started to frown as I really how much time and energy I put into trying to make it work between me and Chase.

When I got home I took a shower and got ready to see my parents. They said that they wanted me to have dinner with them.

I wore a dark coloured sundress that's as just above the knee and has spaghetti straps. I lightly curled my hair just to give it some volume and I was off I didn't want to drive today, that jog really put me in a different mood, I took the bus instead.

I reached my parents' house and I knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked again. Still no answer.

The workers usually leave around 2:30 pm and it was well past that now. So that meant that something terribly wrong happened to my family or my parents are assholes who forgot to send me where to meet them.
Just as I was going to call them I got a text from my mother:

Devil's advocate: I forgot to send you the location didn't I. Well just come to the Kingston house.

THE KINGSTON HOUSE. What were they doing at the Kingston house!? Maybe I should lie and say that I got sick or something. Maybe if I start running I'll reach Canada in about 10 days. Then I'll start my new life in Canada.

What am I so scared of. I don't even know if Oliver will be there. Think about it he's the type to work instead of going to a bbq. He'll most likely be a no show.

...

Their house was only a few houses down but all the houses here cover a lot of land so it feels like you've walked an entire neighborhood. I was greeted at the door by Mrs. Kingston and she didn't say anything about Oliver, she can't shut up about Oliver. So maybe he wasn't here, after all, thank goodness.
I could see my mother talking with all the other mothers. From my years of experience at house parties you want to avoid that group a much as possible. They're the ones who ask THOSE questions.
I tried my best to sneak past, but nothing escapes my mother's eye.
"ALICE, come over here" my mother calls out.
I slowly turn around and walk towards them. However before I could reach them, I heard someone call me.

...

Hello, my amazing readers! How are you all doing?
I'm seeing a lot more new readers and comments. That makes me really happy that people are reading my book!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'll try to write more and update weekly, emphasis on TRY.
Don't forget to leave a like and comment, it really helps me out.
Word count: 830