Chapter 8

Credence isn't scared of the Obscurial this time, it's another part of him, and it will protect Newt and Queenie with everything it has, just like Credence would. The Obscurial blocks Queenie and Newt from Percival Graves' sight, and all they can see is each other. The door to the hospital room closes, and Credence stares down at the man in front of him, waiting for him to make a move.

"What, what in the hell?" Graves is looking around with pure confusion on his face, and Credence wonders if this is another ruse of his. 

He stays firm and keeps the Obscurial in place, doesn't allow it to attack yet, just protect. Graves turns his gaze to Credence, but there's no recognition in his gaze. Credence hates this man more than anyone else in the world.

"Get away from Newt!" Credence demands, and Graves' eyes widen. His eyes go over to Newt's bed and sees only the Obscurial covering him.

"What, what are you doing? Who are you? How do you know Newt?" Graves questions, but he doesn't seem demanding in his questions, only scared. 

Credence blinks, is this what Newt meant? That this man here, isn't the same man that tortured Newt, that he isn't the same person that abused him at all.

"Who are you?" Credence asks instead, and Percival blinks.

"Percival Graves." He states, but there's no power to it like there was when Credence first met Mr. Graves. Credence doesn't understand.

The part of the Obscurial he has hovering over Newt protectively, shifts. But it's in excitement more than anything, Credence allows the Obscurial to move a little so that they can both see Newt. 

Newt is laying on the bed, a hand outstretched in front of him, gently touching the Obscurial. There's a confused frown on his face, but when he sees Credence he smiles softly and seems to understand. Credence moves forward slowly, the Obscurial wrapped gently around Queenie vanishes, and Queenie is at Graves' side, making sure he's okay and that Credence didn't accidentally hurt him.

"Credence, what are you doing here?" Newt asks softly, the closer Credence gets the clearer he can see that Newt's hands are shaking.

"We came to see you, but what is he doing here, Newt he tortured you at the station." Credence frowns, and gestures to Mr. Graves. 

Newt frowns and looks to where Queenie and Mr. Graves are, he looks around the room and sees the Obscurial that is still hovering near him, and his expression softens. He reaches for Credence's hand and takes it in his, he sends Mr. Graves and Queenie an apologetic look. 

"Credence, I need you to pull the Obscurial back in, we aren't in any danger." Newt says softly, and Credence frowns.

"But, Newt." Credence starts.

"Do you trust me Credence?" Newt interrupts, Credence's eyes widen.

"Of course." Credence answers, and Newt smiles.

"Then could you please pull the Obscurial back in." Newt states, Credence frown deepens.

"Well, I don't really know how." Credence admits and Newt laughs softly.

"Just relax, and let the Obscurial know that everyone is safe." Newt squeezes Credence's hand and Credence allows himself to relax. Slowly the Obscurial pulls itself back into Credence's body, and stills in his chest.

"Look at ya Credence, learning how to control the Obscurial." Queenie beams, Newt is also grinning. Mr. Graves is looking between the three of them with a very confused expression.

Credence smiles at Queenie very timidly, and Newt pulls on Credence's hand gently to get his attention. Credence turns his head to Newt and tilts his head.

"Remember when I said that the man who attacked us wasn't really who he said he was?" Credence nods and Newt continues. "Well, this man here is the real Percival Graves, we rescued him yesterday, and that's what landed us in here." Queenie and Percival stare at Newt. 

Yesterday?

"Newt," Percival starts, and gets up slowly to stand on the opposite side of Newt's bed. "You've been in here for two weeks." Newt's eyes widen, and he looks to Queenie to confirm.

"He's right sweetie, you have." Queenie sighs, and Newt blinks.

"What? Why was I asleep for so long?" Newt questions, Percival and Queenie exchange a look.

"You don't remember?" Queenie asks, and Newt frowns at her.

"Remember what?" Newt frowns and Queenie exchanges another look with Graves.

"Well, how you ended up in a hospital bed." Percival says, and Newt raises an eyebrow.

"Of course, I remember. I just don't get why I'd be asleep for so long." Newt rubs his chin, and Percival frowns.

"If you remember than you should know why you were asleep for so long." Percival states, and Newt's eyes widen and he turns to Credence so fast that Credence jumps.

"My case, where's my case?" He asks desperately, and a bit out of nowhere, he sits upright. Credence places a hand on Newt's shoulder.

"It's at the apartment, I've been tending to your creatures, Tina found the notebook you keep, so I just followed it. They all seem worried though, the Demiguise especially, he keeps trying to get out of the case." Credence explains and Newt stares at him with a sort of smile, but he looks a little confused.

"How do you know that Dougal is a Demiguise?" Newt smile slowly stretches wider.

"Dougal brought me your notes, and showed me each creature, referring to your notes each time. At first all three of us would take turns, but since both Tina and Queenie work, it was easier if I took care of them. The creatures are used to me now, and Dougal made sure none of them hurt me or anything, it's Pickett I'm most worried about though." Credence explains and Newt grins at him.

"Where is Pickett? Wasn't he with me when I was hit by that spell? What about the Swooping Evil? He was with me too." Newt questions, he looks worried, desperate to know where they are, and Credence thinks it's just like Newt to worry about his creatures before himself.

"They're both okay, and inside the case, they seem unharmed thankfully. Pickett however, gives me hell everytime I leave the case, he insists on coming with me, and each time I have to tell him no. The Swooping Evil however, is a sneaky little bugger, caught him twice attached to my sleeve, their worried. Tina says she found them on you in the hospital, apparently the hospital staff had to work around them, because they refused to move, or be away from you. They let Tina take them into the case though, but they aren't too happy about being stuck there." Credence explains, and Newt deflates a little bit at knowing they're okay.

"We can bring them tomorrow when we come to visit." Queenie mentions, and Newt throws a huge grin her way. "Or the whole case if you're up to it."

"Could you? That would mean the world to me." Newt smiles, and Queenie nods with a fond smile.

"That reminds me, we better go tell Tennie that you're awake now." Queenie says with a startled look, and Newt smiles. "She's been worried sick about you honey." Newt turns to look at Credence.

"You better go with Queenie, the nurses probably heard some of the racket, and we can't have you getting caught." Newt says softly, he know that Credence wants to stay where he is, but Newt can't risk it. "Plus, we'd better call for them anyways considering I'm awake."

"But Newt, we just got here. I want to stay a little longer." Credence protests, Newt frowns a little.

"I know, but you'll come again tomorrow, and I'll see you then. We can go down into the case together." Newt grins, Credence looks hesitant, but agrees.

Queenie takes Credence by the arm and Disapperates out of the hospital, Percival stares after them, and it's then that Newt realizes that he'll have to talk to Mr. Graves about all of this. Newt will somehow have to convince him to not tell anyone that Credence was there, and considering he's New York's Director of Magical Security, Newt is a bit doubtful.