Chapter 8

Logan settled down on the small wooden bench next to me, breathing deeply and turning to me.

"I never expected my mate to be so beautiful."

It was barely a whisper, but the words caused my eardrums to ring and throb, as if someone had just hit a gong right next to me.

I smiled, awkwardly. This is not where I wanted this day to go. Logan wasn't supposed to compliment me, and his pack certainly wasn't meant to be...nice.

"Why did you organise The Whipping?" I blurted out without thinking.

Logan's eyes went wide for a second before he leaned forward, perching his elbows on his knees, scratching at his stubble nervously. "I don't know what you want me to say Eliza. I've already told you why it was organised, and I'm sorry."

I shook my head, knowing Logan would never answer anything other than that, because it was the truth, but I still couldn't understand what would posses someone to do that, and I knew I was never going to be able to understand.

If I was ever going to move on from this, I knew I would have to let go of all the questions as to why Logan would have done it. Dwelling on it would get me nowhere.

I pushed my long chestnut hair out of my face, standing up, trying to change the subject. "What else is there to see?"

Logan smiled, standing with me, running his hands through his dark hair. "I know something that I think you'll love."

Logan guided me through the small forest of blossom trees, jumping over miniature rivers that led down towards the lake back by the bench.

He would offer me his hand whenever we would encounter the flowing waters, but I ignored it each time, wanting to show him I was more than capable.

Eventually, we came to a large oak tree; the biggest tree I had ever seen in my life actually, that was hung with what seemed like thousands of lanterns. Due to the sun starting to set, and darkness quickly approaching, the lanterns shone brightly, almost blinding me.

The large oak tree swung along with the wind, as if it were gently dancing, and when my gaze dropped down towards the base of the tree, I noticed it had been hollowed out.

Inside was a small stool, table and a string of fairy lights. I stepped closer in amazement, analysing the small cavern to see a few photos nailed into the inside of the bark.

Two young smiling boys were present in every photo, and by the glow of the hazel eyes, I could tell one of them was Logan.

"That's Jordan, my older brother," said Logan, suddenly realising he was right behind me.

"You two look so alike."

Logan laughed, smiling sadly. "He was supposed to be the Alpha. I took over for him since there was no else left."

I turned, furrowing my brows. "What do you mean?"

"He died a few years back."

Gazing into Logan's eyes, although still hazel, they held sadness and heartache, and I could tell by his now tense demeanour, he was uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, dropping my gaze. I had never been good at comforting people. I knew that saying sorry meant and did nothing, but it was the only thing I could bring myself to say.

"He and I built this actually. I like to come here and just...think."

I nodded in understanding, not wanting to ask any questions in case Logan didn't feel comfortable. I had never lost anyone before, so I couldn't tell him I knew how he felt, but I felt myself wanting to do and say anything to distract him and make him feel more at ease.