Chapter 28: Max

"Max, oh my god." Emily grabbed his hands trying to comfort him. He shrugged them off, not wanting the pity.

"It's fine. I'm fine man, I just..gotta do what I did before."

"Yeah, but you have people right? I know things with your family are kinda..but you have people?"

Max opened his mouth to speak but nothing came. He couldn't be dramatic, right? His dad would be there financially and his step mom would praise him with affection, as hollow as it was. His mom would wonder around the hospital aimlessly, his sister might drop by.

Of course he had people.

"Max.." Emily tried, feeling at his cheek. He tried to shrug off his dampening mood.

"Max." He heard the deep voice beside him. He pulled away instinctively, separating from the girls touch.

"Uh, yo. Wassup?" DaKarie stared, pulling at the strap on his shoulder. He looked down to the girl a foot below them slowly.

"This is Emily." Max gestured, scratching at his nose. It felt weird not signifying who she was to him. His 'girlfriend'. His 'best friend'. Something like that.

Of course she wasn't just Emily but..Karie didn't need to know that did he?

"W-..DaKarie right?" Emily asked, trying for a polite smile despite knowing of him quite well.

Karie stared a second longer, licking his teeth in his mouth before addressing Max again.

"We heading to the court downtown, you coming?"

"Who?"

"Malik, Trey, Chris, David, Ethan. And Ethan's girl maybe."

"Can I j- Max?" He looked over, nodding. She looked between them confused.

"Since when were you guys friends?"

"Uh..you know.." Max tried, shrugging. He sighed when she shook her head, lost.

"Ay man, I got some stuff later, I can't."

"Oh. Aight." He continued to stand there, staring at Max, waiting for something to happen.

"DaKarie we were kinda in the middle of something-

The man glared immediately, looking over Em again who gave an a tight smile. "Fine, man." He shrugged, walking off.

"Karie, come on-" Max called after him. DaKarie flipped him off over his shoulder as he walked away.

.."You good?"

"He'll get over it." Em nodded absently as they began to walk the opposite way. She mumbled something, quite at first.

"Huh?"

"We're still friends right? I mean..am I-

"Yeah. Your one of my people." Max finished, grinning a little. She smiled slowly, rolling her eyes.

"Good. In that case, I'm coming to your next appointment. And if you ever get close to losing that hair you love, I'll be the first to go bald."

"Nah man, not you!" He droned, tugging at her long platinum blond locks. She giggled, shrugging him off where he held her.

"Yes! It's a date. You know what to get me."

"...I do?" Max grinned when he was shoved. He threw his arm over her shoulder as they made their way to class.

Emily and him used to date. He met her a few months before remission, back when they were just kids. They managed to stay together for a few years. She saw everything. She was there for him through everything.