Chapter 26

I smiled elegantly as I excused myself from the fifth guy who approached me today. They were all from established noble families and they all had one point in common. They all weren't heirs to their families. They were insignificant to their families. They all approached me hinting they did not mind marrying into my family. 

This was Rachelle's birthday party, but at the same time my father set up dozens of blind dates for me. Was he this concerned with marrying me off as quickly as possible so that Rachelle can marry into Henri's family? 

I could not take it anymore. I clenched my teeth in annoyance. I looked around the premise this party was taking place and located Rachelle. 

"Rachelle, happy birthday," I congratulated her with a smile plastered on my face. "This is my present for you." I placed the gift box containing the necklace into her hand. 

"Thank you Odette! You have finally returned from your holiday! I missed you!" Rachelle came over and gave me an embrace. I received a glare from the silver haired guy, Lucian, standing just behind Rachelle. 

I rolled my eyes internally. Poor Lucian, you won't be happy if you're this possessive. Rachelle had at least 5 more suitors surrounding her at all time. 

"How's your quest so far, Rachelle?" I asked curiously. Last I heard, she's heading to Earth Temple. If she succeeded, then Yves' temple would be her next goal. 

Yves was definitely planning something, everything started from the time he was killed in my first life. He evoked the spell to reincarnate the both of us for four more times. This time he had finally recovered from the drain from casting that spell. For some unknown reason, I believed all the time he spent on plotting and finally his plan would set to motion in this life. 

"I recovered the shard, Odette! It's a tough fight," she said dejectedly. "Lucian was injured from saving me!" Tears were brimming in her eyes when Lucian comforted her by hugging her close. Rachelle gave Lucian a thankful look and griped his hand. 

"Why won't they understand!" Rachelle cried. "The shards want to be one again! My soul aches from hearing the cries of the shards!"

Your soul... aches? That's an interesting way to put it. All I could do was to nod as if I understood how soul could ache.

"Now," Rachelle said as Lucian brushed away the tears slipping down her face gently, "one last piece is left. Then the shards will be one again." 

"Congrats, Rachelle. But where is the last piece?" I asked innocently, as if I had no idea where the last piece was. 

"It's in the temple of god of darkness." Her beautiful eyes dimmed for a second, before her expression became resolved again. "I'll get to it, no matter how much hardship I have to go through!" 

I did not how to respond, all I could do was to smile supportively and changed the topic. "See if you like your birthday present."

She opened the box and picked up the amethyst necklace inside it. 

"It's so pretty, Odette!" Her eyes brightened at the sight of the necklace. "Thank you so much! Lucian, quick help me put it on!" Her fingers lingered on the huge amethyst pendant.

Is the necklace that pretty? I thought it's pretty common. I didn't really put that much thought into Rachelle's gift. I just picked up something suitable for her status. Maybe she just liked amethyst or she's just being nice. I shrugged it off. 

With a few more friendly exchange, I sneaked back into my bedroom. Luckily, father wasn't concerned with spying me this time. 

I was reading a novel in my room when a flower appeared in from of me. It's the flower found only in the garden of the temple of darkness. I looked up to find Yves standing in front of me, a lazy smile on his face. 

I pursed my lips in worries. "What are you doing here?" I asked in a hushed voice. "Rachelle is in this mansion too! What if she discovers you? You know her luck! What if she suddenly has this intuition to burst into my room?"

He arched his eyebrow in response. "Without even having the need to spy on her, she's sure to be with one of her suitors and there must be two more waiting in line to meet her. Your stepsister's life is very predictable." 

He had a point. 

"But that still does not explain why you are here?" 

"B..."

"Don't tell me you're bored." I glared at him. 

"Bring you a message." He looked at me with exasperation. 

"A message?" 

"You know where your stepsister is heading next?" he asked knowingly. 

I nodded solemnly. 

"She'll probably visit me in..." he placed the flower he was holding next to a window sill, "four days time."

Why did he tell me this? Did he want me to do something? 

"And all you have to do is... stay in this room."

I widened my eyes in confusion. 

"Don't set foot anywhere near the temple. Just stay nicely in this room, Odette," he said as he stood right in front of me, hands pressing firmly on my shoulders, as he stared solemnly at me. 

"But..."

"Oh I know, you must be curious. You can scry all you want. I can even teach you a spell. Just promise me one thing, do not under any circumstance come near the temple." He leaned forward and whispered the last part next to my ear. "Understand?"

"What... what are you planning to do?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Nothing." He was still circling me in his arms, trapping me in the armchair I was sitting in. "I am going to invite her and her knights into my temple like the friendly host I am." 

His voice grew softer as his arms around me grew tighter. 

The end had come. 

Just like that last day we spent together before I was executed in my second life.

But this time, it's for the two of us. Together. 

--------------------

Author's note

Action coming up next!!!! See you next time!