Will I be like him?

I stare at the two pink lines on the strip. A tear streaks down my face and I smile. More and more tears drop onto my face and I sob. I walk into Keefe's and my room. Keefe looks up from the drawing he's working on. I open my arms and he asks,

"Formerly Foster?" That became his new nickname for me. He continues, "What's wrong?" I merely shake my head and Keefe walks into my arms and holds me. 

"Keefe," I say, "How would you like to be a father?" He pulls away from the hug and stares into my eyes. He shakes his head and runs a hand through his hair. Tears start to decorate his eyes and he asks me,

"Is it true?" I nod my head and sit next to him on the bed. I wait for him to smile, to laugh, to do anything that reflects happiness. But he flops on the bed and stares up at the ceiling. Tears are streaming down his face, and he covers his eyes. His shoulders start to shake and his breathing is fast. I put my hand on his chest and say,

"Keefe? Keefe, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Suddenly his breathing is choppier then it was earlier. 

"Keefe!" I scream. I dial 911 and say that my husband isn't breathing right and that they need to come over here ASAP. I am sobbing 

I hear sirens, and I look at Keefe. Someone comes in and takes out a stethoscope. Keefe lays there, shaking. 

"Will he be okay?" I ask the man looking at him.

"Yes, thankfully, it was just a panic attack. Put him in the bed, and he will be okay in a couple of minutes. Good job on calling us, because if you didn't, he would be having a seizure right now. I gave him a shot to put him to sleep for a little while. When he wakes up, he will be back to his usual self." I breathe out because I was holding my breath. The man nods at me and leaves.

"Oh, and congratulations, Ma'am." He says. I realize that my test was at the top of the trash can, and it was right by the door. I smile at him and nod my head. I mouthed a thanks to him.

                                                                   -5 minutes later-

Keefe opens his beautiful ice-blue eyes. I sigh in relief and kiss him. 

"I'm sorry." He whispers. 

"You have nothing to be sorry about," I tell him.

"What happened, Keefe?" I ask him, and I take his hand.

"I-I was... scared. I was scared that I would be like my father. I don't want to be. He was so horrible and unloving, and I don't want to be like that to our child." I put my hand over my mouth and answer him,

"You could never be like that. You are the most loving, caring, and perfect man I have ever met. And I am sure you will be the best father in the history of fathers."

"Well, if you're sure..." He smirks and picks me up. He kisses my stomach and I laugh.

                                                                  -4 months later-

We walk into the hospital and I sit down. Keefe keeps a hand on my shoulder. My baby bulge isn't that big, but it is big enough for it to be seen. Elwin, our friend and family doctor, waves us in for the ultrasound. 

"So, how are we today?" He asks us.

"Great," I say.

"Excited," Keefe says. Elwin chuckles. He puts a contraption on my stomach, and it makes this humming sound. A picture pops up on the screen in front of us.

"That's a baby?" Keefe asks and tilts his head. I laugh and shake my head at him.

"Yes, but in medium stages. See, there is the head." He points to a big blotch on the screen. He continues, "Would we like to know the gender of the baby?"  Elwin smiles at us.

Keefe looks at me. I nod and he nods back. "Yes," Keefe answers him.

The doctor goes up to the computer and types a few things. 

"It's a girl." He says. A girl! Keefe and I are having a girl! I laugh happily. Keefe squeezes my shoulder.

"Now, you should probably start thinking about names. This is going to go by quickly," Elwin says to us, smiling.

                                                               - 5 months and twenty-two days later -

I stare at the water on the ground. I yell for Keefe, and he comes running in.

"My water broke." His eyes widen and he grabs the baby bag from the nursery. 

Nursery:

I get into the car, and Keefe throws the bag into the back seat, next to the car seat

I get into the car, and Keefe throws the bag into the back seat, next to the car seat. He drives me to the hospital and gets a wheelchair. He runs a hand through his hair and pushes me towards the maternity ward.

"Her water broke about 15 minutes ago," He explains to the receptionist. Her eyes widen and she says,

"Her contractions should start any minute now then. Follow me to her room." She says. Keefe wipes the sweat from his brow. Suddenly a medium-ish pain flashes across my stomach. I gasp from the pain. 

"First contraction?" The receptionist asks. I nod. Keefe squeezes my shoulder. They lay me on the bed, and Keefe pulls the curtain around me. 

Another pain, about 10 minutes later, stabs my stomach. I whimper. This one is worst than the last. Keefe grimaces for me, and goes and gets me ice chips. The pain comes in and out, worse every time, each about 7 minutes apart. While Keefe is getting the ice chips, I change into my hospital gown. I lay back down on the bed, and Keefe comes in with the ice chips. I thank him, and he spoons some into my mouth. It cools down my forehead, and I lay a hand on my baby bump. Another pain comes, and I cry out.

Another one, about five minutes later comes again. I am officially in labor.  A doctor comes in and measures my contractions. Suddenly, a huge pain overtakes my body. I scream, and Keefe looks worried. I grab onto his hand, as nurses come in. I hear mumbles, but I can't make out the words. I hear crowning somewhere in there, though. I hear Keefe whispering a prayer.

                                                                -10 minutes later-

The pain is too much. I can't do this anymore. Give me a break, please. 

"Come on, one more push." The doctor says. I grit my teeth, and then I hear faint crying. I look for my baby, not caring about the pain anymore.

The Doctors come back in, with a pink bundle. I reach my hands out for my baby, and the doctors place the bundle in my hands. I look into the big ice-blue eyes of my daughter. I look up at Keefe and he smiles and looks at her, too. 

"Do we have a name?" The doctor asks us. I smile.

"Adeline Claire Scencen," I say.