Chapter 16: The Magistrate

chapter 16: the magistrate •••

It's about another week of floating around until something changes—very suddenly. You and Din have managed to keep each other sane with many words of comfort and a lot of time spent just holding each other, remembering that you're not alone in this extremely intimidating time of your lives. The child, of course, is also a huge help. His ability to distract you from your troubles is almost like a talent, with his restless self practically bouncing around the Crest and encouraging you to play game after game until he's ready to sleep again.

The change comes in a form you never would've expected. You've just laid the child down to sleep when Din comes rushing down from the cockpit, and you turn quickly upon hearing his hurried and rather chaotic behavior.

"Everything okay?" you ask right away, knowing that your stoic man wouldn't be acting in such an urgent manner if there wasn't a good reason for it.

"You need to come see this," Din remarks, gesturing to the cockpit. A pit makes itself known in your stomach, and you offer a nod as you follow him back up the ladder, standing beside where Din's seated in the pilot's chair as you look over his shoulder at the dashboard. Din hits a few buttons, and soon, a blue hologram of none other than Greef Karga starts playing. Your jaw drops—amazed by the fact he's still alive—as you watch his message.

My friend, if you are receiving this transmission, that means you are alive. You might be surprised to hear this, but I am alive too. I guess we can call it even.

You look over at Din, seeing his helmet also looking your way. You know your expression isn't hiding the extreme surprise and concern you feel, and you're grateful when his gloved hand reaches for yours and secures it in his grasp. Your eyes drift back to the hologram.

A lot has happened since we last saw each other. The man who hired you is still here, and his ranks of ex-Imperial guards have grown. They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which has impeded the livelihood of the Guild. We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out. If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while.

You hold your breath at that. The thought of Din going back to face the same man who wanted the child dead—and who would gladly see both you and Din dead as well—is very unsettling to you.

You have been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize.

A wince falls from your lips at that. Din gives your hand a reassuring squeeze.

So, here is my proposition: return to Nevarro. Bring the child as bait. I will arrange an exchange and provide loyal Guild members as protection. Once we get near the client, you kill him, and we both get what we want. If you succeed, you keep the child, and I will have your name cleared with the Guild—for a man of honor should not be forced to live in exile. I await your arrival with optimism.

The hologram shuts off. You release the air you've been holding, looking worriedly in Din's direction again. He holds your hand even tighter, but it almost feels numb as the dark thoughts swimming in your head drown you completely.

"Din..." You try to say something but can't think of how to even begin responding to the message. With a shake of your head, you finally voice your fears. "We can't do that. Facing that... monster again? He wanted the child dead, and I'm sure he'd absolutely love to have your head on his wall and me as his—his..." You can't get the rest of the thought out. It disgusts you too much. Instead, your mind focuses back to that first day you saw Din trying to fight off at least twenty other bounty hunters completely on his own, each one hungering to make the fatal shot. "We can't, Din. I won't let you go back there."