[11-2] It's All Instant Tragedies

Beginning sort of thinks that the weirdness is over for now. She's getting used to how bizarre the girls can be, sure, but there's usually lulls in the worst of it. Right now, after her conversations with both Secrecy and Avoidance, all she really wants to do is find somewhere to sit down and quit thinking about all of this. Keeping the peace is about as stressful as it gets, especially when no one else shares the sentiment of wanting to.

She gets around to the other side of town, far away from the church and the person in it. The farther away she gets, the calmer she feels. She'll have to face Judgement someday, Beginning knows, but for now, it's easier just to walk away and let herself simmer down while she can.

But Beginning only gets so far before she hears shouting once again. This time, she fights the urge to sigh. She's going to get mixed up in this, isn't she? Once again, it'll be her turn to play peacekeeper.

Sometimes, she seriously doubts her decision to play quite so nice.

Beginning follows a side street in the direction of the yelling. This time, the scene features Inconsistency and Jealousy, facing each other with tension between them so thick that one could probably cut it.

Inconsistency has almost a full foot on Jealousy, but once again, the smaller girl is standing with more confidence than Beginning thinks she could ever muster in her place. It's impressive, really, even though Beginning knows that that confidence doesn't always end too well for her.

Beginning remembers just how deep Jealousy's insecurities lie. She's pretty sure by now that every drop of the confidence the other girl exudes is faked, even if it necessary in order to keep herself safe.

"Ah, Beginning!" Inconsistency shouts, catching sight of her from over Jealousy's shoulder. Jealousy whirls around, making a very strange face. Beginning is acutely aware of the circumstances of their last conversation. She really hopes that Jealousy isn't holding some kind of grudge.

"Don't look away from me," Jealousy snaps. "You have some explaining to do, picking on everyone like you are. You're getting out of control, do you understand that? And I doubt that person is too pleased with your troublemaking." The threat is clear. Or more accurately, the threat of Judgement is clear as day. Beginning gets the message.

She's not so sure that Inconsistency gets it too.

"Blech! As if I care what you have to say. I'm only here because you forced me." Huffing, Inconsistency crosses two of her arms, the other two going to her hips in a visible gesture of defiance to Jealousy.

"Inconsistency," Jealousy starts, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'm tired of this. Leave Negativity alone. You're only making her attitude worse. And please, stay out of Selfishness's way. She's going to kill you one of these days. I know you don't have anything going for you but your constant antics, but if you don't cease making a nuisance of yourself, you'll regret it."

Making a face, Inconsistency digs her nails into her arms where they're crossed, drawing blood. She must have taken offense to Jealousy's insinuations pretty badly. Beginning isn't exactly surprised by that.

"You know," Inconsistency starts, a distinct sniffle in her voice, "it's so mean for you to say that stuff! I didn't-- d-didn't do a single thing wrong."

That line is followed by a hiccuping sob that Beginning honestly can't tell is fake or not. Her face scrunches up into an expression of misery and hurt. Once again, Inconsistency's amazing mood swings are kicking in. Beginning sort of feels like she should walk away and leave this to the two of them, but... this is the exact kind of thing that she's trying to improve.