Chp. 2

-JENSON’S POV-

The other night was weird, I could swear there was someone watching me, but there was no one there. I had looked around for awhile, waiting for any movement but ended up falling back asleep. It was weird, I could tell you that, maybe this house was haunted and we didn’t know.

I shivered at the thought, or maybe it was because it was below 40 degrees outside. I slipped on jeans and some boots, wrapping a scarf around my neck and throwing my coat on.

It was my first day at a new school.

It wasn’t my first time being the new girl, but ever since my incident with my exboyfriend, Bren, my mom and step dad finally agreed I could use a fresh start. Bren was crazy, I didn’t know this until months after dating him. He already had developed at drinking problem at age 18, and he was a diagnosed Schizophrenia.

Things I had all learned after dating him for three months.

He was bad for me, at first he made me happy of course but as we progressed… he became possessive.

I shoved the thought of Bren out of my head as I climbed into my car. Then, I felt the familiar feeling of someone watching me. It was weird, there was absolutely no one, nothing around to make me feel uncomfortable.

So why did I?

I began to drive, I had drove around yesterday and the day before just to get familiar with the city. As I was driving I tried not to think to much about this new school. I was nervous, naturally, but I wasn’t going to make the mistake of dating again. There was no way. Not after what I experienced with Bren…

STOP!

Then as I looked up, I realized there was a Stop sign ten feet away from a bust road. I slammed on my brakes, hearing the tires screech against the new asphalt and stopping with a jerk. Then an 18 Wheeler plowed in front of me, inches away from the front of my car. I felt my heart going a million miles per minutes, I sat back in my seat, taking in what just happened.

Why did this voice… echo through my head all of a sudden? What possessed me to look up and snap out of my thoughts?

If I hadn’t have looked up… I would be dead right now.

I continued to school, the scare never leaving my mind. It was so bizarre, it had happened all so quick… That voice…

I pulled up to school, feeling eyes on me, but this time I could see the eyes. Everyone was wondering who I was, and I knew this was going to come eventually.

I stepped out of my car, locking it and grabbing my notebook. It’s not like I would need anything really for my first day. The bell rang, apparently signaling us to class, when I needed to find the front office. I turned away from my car and running into someone. I mumbled, “Sorry,” shit, so much for keeping a low profile.

I looked up into gray blue eyes and a warming smile, her voice was velvet, not one flaw on her face. Her dark hair complimented her complexion, she looked like… an angel.

She smiled warmly down at me, and stretching out her hand, “Hi, I’m Riley, you just be new.”

I nodded, she looked friendly, I could trust her, right? I took her hand in mine, “Hi Riley, I’m Jenson.”

She released my hand, there was something about her voice… it was so familiar.

She sighed, “Um, can I show you around? Do you have your schedule?”

I shook my head, Why was she being so nice? And trying so hard to be friendly to me? I decided this might be worth a shot, so I shook my head, “I don’t have my schedule…”

She realized I was being really timid, she smiled again, “You can trust me, I’ll shoe you where the office is.”

I decided to give her a chance and follow her, I wasn’t to keen on new people but I needed a friend on my first day. I followed next to her, she walked with such ease, such confidence. It made me wonder if she was popular at this school, she seemed like she had influence.

A couple of people even told her hey on the way to class.

Usually people who were popular and well liked, weren’t liked at all. Maybe that was just at my school though. She seemed genuine, and maybe, just maybe, this was a start of something good.

She walked up to the desk, looking at me, “What’s your last name?”

I smiled, “Jenson Allen.”

“She’s a new student, she needs her schedule,” Riley leaned on the counter coolly as we waited for it to print.

I continued to study Riley, I was starting to envy her to be honest. I used to be like her, carefree, happy… or was this just a mask? Was she really happy and confident? Or did she just want people to think that of her? I wanted to ask, just for the hell of it, but it seemed way to soon. I still didn’t even know her last name.

She got the schedule, studying it and smiling, “Awesome, we’ll be together all day. Plus we’re in homeroom together.”

She handed me my schedule and I looked over it, I had done some extra credit classes and I only had two classes this year. I would be out of school at 9:30. She walked next to me as we started down the hallway, “I only have two classes to, I decided to double up Junior year.”

I nodded, I wanted to talk to her, I just felt shy, I felt like she was going to realize I was some sort of loser and walk away from me. Leave me hanging like a bunch of my “friends” did already.

But there was something different about this girl, I was compelled to her, like I needed to keep her next to me. It wasn’t a strong feeling, but it was obvious in the pit of my stomach. It made a me nervous, why did I feel compelled to someone I barely knew?

She walked me into what was English and pulled a desk next to her, and looked up at me and smiled, “Take a seat. This is the coolest English you’re ever going to have.”

I smiled, she was funny, and pretty, and everything I wish I could be.

She looked at me, “I’m Riley Adams, I forgot to tell you my last name.”

I needed to come out of my shell, I needed to let myself go and just experience this to the fullest. Not everyone was this genuine, and I needed to take advantage of it. She was really trying, and I needed to show her some respect.

So after giving myself a pep talk I put on a smile, “Thanks a ton for showing me around.”

“No problem.”

“You’re not doing this for a bet or anything?”

She looked at me confusingly, “No, I wouldn’t want to feel like a lone loser my first day, plus I love new people.”

I felt my heart warm at her comment, So she really was nice… and not because she had to be.