Chapter 16

She ran as fast as she could through the corridors towards her chamber. She slid the lock home and leaned against the door. Wracked with fear, desire and sadness she sank to her knees in tears.

What has become of her? This was madness.

She slowly stood and walked over to a nearby corner and disrobed hanging her wet gown and cloak to dry. She caressed herself welcoming the warmth from the nearby fire burning at the hearth.

She donned a dry nightshift and walked slowly towards her bed and crawled beneath the sheets. There she burried her face into the pillow and wept losing all sense of time, she fell asleep.

Every other morning she welcomed with a smile. But, this was one morning she could not. She did not dare face it or face him. She could not bare it. Closing her eyes she stretched and layed beneath the sheets. The sun tinted room was drowned out by the heavy drapes at her window. She did not want this day to begin but , it was evident it would hearing the keep alive and awake. Rolling her eyes she pulled her sheet over her head and continued to lay awake. The soft knock at the door came with a happy Mags walking quickly to her bed. Her fast chatter was barely understood as she briskly pulled the sheets from over her head.

In a fervid hurry Mags nervously pulled her to her feet with continued chatter.

"My child you must dress, the king has arrived," she walked over to a chest throwing it open she pulled out gown after gown. Holding one up that met her approval she placed it on the bed.

Before she could comprehend what was being said another swarm of servants entered and cleaned and straightened her bed. The familiar authoritative voice of Naan entered the room quickly pulling her to a nearby stool and began combing her hair. She silently sat listening to the older womans cluck about her going to bed with her hair wet.

"My goodness child t'is still damp your hair why did you not dry it good?"

She continued to comb the long tresses of silk sable. A slight warmth crept up her neck and her cheeks at the reason why her hair was damp.

Naan fret over it for a while before staying satisfied with the neat braid she created in her hair. Out the corner of her eyes she watched a servant girl dutifully fold her dry cloak and gown and place it back in her chest. Mags pulled her quickly to her feet and turned her around. She was quickly dressed.

"M'lord Gavin? where is he?"

She asked Naan.

Being whirled around she lifted her arms as Naan circled her waist with a belt.

"He is with the king in his solar." Naan continued.

"They have been in there for quite sometime,"

Worry grew over her about the kings arrival that she began to fidget. Her heart leaped with fear when she was told that he requested her presence.

******

"Surely you jest, My liege," Gavin questioned the surprising announcement.

The burley man sat in a chair befitting of his title, frowned at Gavins words.

"I do not jest," He scowled.

"We must form an alliance it is the only way to protect her lands and keep them away from that dog Defoe," he fumed.

"Besides she is the right age, I don't understand why Hugh waited so long to have her betrothed," he said with an annoying tone.

Bowing his head he closed his eyes against the now aching pain that thumped in his head. He had no sleep last night laying awake thinking of her.