Ours, Oren

Chapter 5

Queen Elora
Furia

"My daughter's biological father is Oren?" Queen Elora placed the pastel green tea cup back in its saucer. She balanced Elora's rabbit on her lap, which was padded by a white woolen blanket to warm her feet.

"I am positive, Your Majesty. I was in the same dungeon cell with her. Her eyes have golden orbs and her scent... without a doubt, she is purely Furian." Nelo was kneeling before the throne.

Queen Elora held onto her throne's arm for support. Her throne room was nested by different textures of dark wood. Furians were of the bird ancestry, therefore wood was homelier than any gold.

"Yes, it is possible." She lost her virtue to Oren. Before she consummated her marriage with Tobba, she was with Oren a couple of times. "Elora is mine and his... A pure fury... This means she can grow wings. Elora had a delay in maturing her wings and we just were not patient enough, isn't it?" Queen Elora blamed herself. She should not have listened to people's opinions and kept her baby.

"We gave her the red portion, remember Your Majesty?" Nelo was her trusted confidant. She served in the military before becoming her shadow guard. However, she now relied on her as a deliverer, messenger and scout. Nelo preferred that as it allowed her to explore the vast lands since she was aging. She was retiring in the following year, yet  she was still fit.

The queen smiled with glee, getting revelation. Before her Elora left, they had her drink the red portion to inhibit her Furian characteristics. Her wish as a mother was for her to fit in with other children in Huticah.

Nelo went on, "Yet, though she had the red portion before she left, some of her traits are manifesting. Anyone can tell she is Furian. Her beauty is comparable to none." Nelo laughed. "She is a true princess of ours. Even the fireflies know it."

"They responded when she sang?" the queen chuckled happily. When a princess sang in the morning, butterflies danced around her but at night it was the fireflies that danced. Massaging the rabbit, she imagined what Elora looked like now. Did she look exactly like her mother or her father? About her father, "Did you also find Oren?"

"I don't think that Oren is anywhere near Nevoria at the moment. The Nevorian servicemen can't find him either."

"I heard Huizhong entrusted him with his heart. Do you know of their situation in Nevoria?" No other threatening report came after his initial one―his intention to attack Furia if they kept protecting Huticah. Queen Elora didn't respond to the sent word, she just awaited for his next move. Luckily, Gurio was not abiding to it's treaty with Nevoria as they were being rowdy. On the border shared with Nevoria, Gurio bullied Nevorian people by taking over the river between them, claiming it was solely theirs. The Nevorians then had to walk long distances in search of another water resource. Huizhong probably had his attention on solving that rather than dwelling on Huticah, for now.

"About that Your Majesty..."

"Don't shy around Nelo. Report everything to me."

"I have been shadowing Elora since I found out she was thrown out of the palace, as King Tobba could easily kill her for that."

"Good job. You are to be rewarded for that."

"Her Majesty is generous." She bowed before carrying on, "They planned to rescue the Huticah slaves from the palace. However, their mission was a fail. Elora ended up releasing our people."

"Really? She is indeed Oren's daughter." A true princess had an undivided heart when it came to her people. It is impossible to ignore the cry of your people. It was inbred in every Furian princess to sacrifice everything for her nation. Elora could not fight the desire, the need to always do right for them was part of her. For example, she the queen, sacrificed her lover.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I don't think she realised, but it was impossible for her to help the Huticah slaves first. Every princess is a slave to their people."

Queen Elora nodded with approval. "Did she then get out safely?" Now that they knew who her real father was, her daughter didn't need to be Tobba's bondswoman for his ugly evil plans.

'I hope you forgive me Elora, that you suffered for my wrongs.'

If she kept her. She would have grown up well, a Furian woman of dignity, respect, strength and authority. Queen Elora hoped it was not too late. "Maybe, I should send people to go get her, what do you think?"

"She is still in the palace, Your Majesty."

"Huh? Doing what there?"

"She stabbed their emperor..."

Queen Elora gasped in disbelief.

Nelo was quick to explain further, "From what I saw, it looked like a mistake. She was quite regretful about it."

"Huizhong got stabbed by a woman? I have seen him on the battlefield when we formed an alliance, years back." Though he was still crown prince at that time, he was impressive. "How is it possible that Elora stabbed him?" Was her daughter as fierce as her father?

Nelo's shoulders slumped. "I think... I think they are romantically involved..."

"It cannot be. A fury and the dragon?" The queen lightly touched her forehead, losing her bearings a little. It was disrespectful to their nature for a princess to love a man that was not monogamous. In Furia, it was the women who could have many mates, what an insult to be involved with a man in possession of a harem.

Never mind that, she would fix that later. "How is Huizhong doing? Do they know it was her?"

"They are waiting for the bell, Your Majesty. It is unlikely that he makes it. This is why I hurriedly came here. Your Majesty, it's not in our best interest for him to die. Our princess may be charged with murder and also, without a dragon and heir, Nevoria will be shaken. Huticah has considerable political power in Nevoria and will try to seize the throne. Gurio has a strong military force, they will use that route to invade the empire."

Furia was a landlocked nation. Around it was Gurio, Nevoria and Huticah. If these battled, Furia would be caught in the middle. Literally and metaphorically.

"Important things first. Elora has to step up as princess. If she is a princess as you say, she can redeem this situation for us." She was going to visit Nevoria to sort out the stupid love affair, later. But first, "Bring me my writing material."

About time Elora received a letter from her mother.

S.V