Monsters

~As time passes, things change every day. Wounds heal, but scars still remain the same~ Eminem & Sia.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Beautiful Pain' by Eminem ft. Sia.

TRIGGER WARNING: Chapter contains implication of sexual assault.

°°

Rainey

I take a shower then get dressed in a black tank top and white pajama pants. I put my damp clammy hair into a messy bun and make my way downstairs to get something to eat before my mom or Jeff arrives.

My phone dings in my pocket while I amble to the kitchen and my face brightens when I realize that it's a message from Riley.

I miss Crossview I should just run away from home. Bailey is super annoying!

-Riley.

I chuckle softly, glancing at her chat's display picture. Ironically, it's a snap of her and Bailey. Her arms are thrown over his shoulders in the most loving way possible. I smile at the image as I type a response.

Your dp is saying the complete opposite Ry. Lol. You both look so adorable XD

-Rain.

I place the cell onto the counter, tipping on my toes to reach the cabinet's handle. I sift through the wooden space for something that isn't bread or cereal. I want a home-cooked meal but considering my mom only eats take-outs, that's probably impossible. My mind flows back to Ansel's mom's stewed chicken and my mouth salivates. God, Riley isn't the only one who wants to run away from home.

My cell dings with another notification and I close the cupboard and reach for it.

Lol! He forced me to take that pic btw :-D Anyway, how's Ansel?

-Riley.

I am ninety-nine percent sure her true intention is to know about Alex. I can tell she likes him, but I am not sure what's holding her back.

Ry, we both know Alex is who you secretly want to ask about lol.

-Rain.

I pick at my nails, idly watching the three moving dots at the bottom which signals that's she's typing a response.

Ugh. You got me. How's Alex? 😊

-Riley.

I smile. I knew it.

He's great. I was at their house today. Do you want his number?

-Rain.

The blue ticks beside my text box tell me she has seen my message, but she pauses for a few seconds before she begins to type.

Nah. I'm scared of him. He's way too hot. And hot guys are players.

-Riley.

I want to disagree, but recalling Alaric's cheating on Sam, I can't say she doesn't have a point. I sigh. Poor Sam.

I get what you mean. But he seems to really like you though.