Chapter 30: Guilt

Jennie's POV

"Hyumin oppa, listen to this." I heard Jisoo's voice from inside the room which made me halt

"I am listening Jisoo, gosh why are you so nervous?" Hyumin's teasing voice was heard with a chuckle. Hearing his voice, I was reminded of how I'm soon to be engaged with him. Ugh why do rich people always try to matchmake one another. I was upset again, I was about to continue walking back to my room when I heard Jisoo saying something that shocked me to the core.

"Ok whatever.. Just, listen to my confession." Jisoo said, taking a deep breath. On instinct, I immediately thought of something and pressed record on my phone.

"I love you with all my heart, since the first day of school had started. I started noticing you. I knew I loved you the moment you gave me that gift on my birthday. I- I like you and I gathered enough courage to say it face to face."

"Well Jisoo I love you too" Hyumin's voice could be heard followed by a chuckle. I was so shocked that I ran to my room and locked myself in. I looked at my phone... Jisoo and Hyumin actually like each other?

Then an idea surfaced in my mind. Something that would benefit both Jisoo and me. I held onto my phone tightly, planning a scheme to let Ms. Hee hear the recording.

___

I walked out, pacing around near the gates of the mansion, trying to process what I've just done.

"Oh dear. I'm afraid I would have to cancel your engagement with Hyumin dear Jennie, I hope you understand. After all, Jisoo and Hyumin are in love." Ms. Hee's voice from earlier replayed in my mind over and over like a broken record.

Goodness. What have I done? Why do I feel so guilty?... I thought to myself, pacing back and forth subconciously. Oh god. Is it selfish of me to do this? I- I didn't even consult Jisoo.

...

No matter, they love each other right? There should be no problem.. It's okay Jennie... This is for the sake of everyone's benefit. Jisoo gets to be with Hyumin and I still have a chance with Taehyung.

But.. why.. do I feel so upset?

"Are you okay?" a familiar voice was heard behind me which abruptly brought me back to reality, I was shocked. It was Taehyung, but why is he here?

I decided to calm myself down first. No I can't let him see me like this. I tried my best to smile normally at him

"Y-yes, I'm okay.." I said in a sheepish manner.

"Are you sure? You look so pale." Taehyung asked.

I wanted to slap myself. Gosh Jen, why are you being so obvious? I quickly thought of an excuse.

"Must've been the s..shocking news about unnie" I said,  chuckling while twirling my hair nervously, Taehyung's stare was making me uneasy.

He furrowed his brows once he heard me, asking "Did Jisoo or someone get in an accident?"

"A..aniyo, I just learned that Jisoo unnie and Hyumin oppa c..confessed to each other. They're i..in.. love, I think they're gonna get married in the near future." Saying this out loud made me feel even more guiltier.

Taehyung tensed. His worried expression was gone, then he abruptly turned back and left without a word.

"Taehyung oppa!" I called out, "Where are you going..?"