chapter 25

"The best thing to hold onto in life is each other" - Audrey Hepburn

((brace yourself, issa long chapter))

25.

"So you're telling us you've seen this exact same pin on one of the customers?"

"Yes, Josh! In fact, he came right before you found me."

Tyler and Josh shared a look with each other.

After our meeting at the West Pack, Josh being the gentleman that he was, decided to chaperone me back to my pack. Upon reaching the pack borders, we found an impatient Tyler pacing back and forth. The chief guard of my pack’s border control, Andrew, stood next to him with five other guards. Anyone could gather the frustration from their facial expressions and gestures.

Ever since the attack, each pack unanimously decided to double their security. No one, not even an Alpha, was allowed to cross another pack’s border without the permission of their Alpha. Thinking to myself, I realized that Andrew was unable to mind link me for permission because I had blocked contact with everyone when I was with Ethan.

Once I settled the situation between them, the three of us headed towards my office, where Jonathan, who I had already mind linked, awaited us.

"But what was he doing in human territory... It doesn't make sense?" Tyler huffed.

I shrugged back in response. My eyes travelled to the other side of room where Jonathan was leaning against my Dad’s bookshelf, silently observing the golden pin in his hand. He hadn't spoken a word since I showed him the pin. He supported an inscrutable expression on his face as he continued to stare at it, not offering his two cents during any part of our conversation.

Then all of sudden, as if he got electrocuted, Jonathan began to ransack Dad's collection of books which lined the shelf. His moves were sudden, abrupt and haphazard.

"Beta Jonnie, you good?" Josh questioned, raising an alarming eyebrow my way.

"It has to be here....has to be.... where did you put it Alejandro.... where? Yes! I found it."

Dust went everywhere and swirled in the dry air when Jonathan dropped a huge book called "The Imperial Protectors" on the desk. The dust particles reflected the sun’s rays which peeked in from the window behind me; taking theappearance of sparkly glitter.

“Vivian, are you short on cleaners or what? Should I send some from my pack?” Josh coughed, “This vortex of dust is harming my poor, young lungs.”

Before I could return a smartass retort his way, Tyler brought our attention to the matter at hand, "What's this, Jonathan?"

"The answer."

Without wasting any time, he began to frantically shuffle through the pages.

"Achoo!"

All eyes went towards Josh, who was covering his face with his long fingers.

"’Scuse me... got me some dust allergies," he looked up at us and grinned mischievously.

Jonathan resumed searching for whatever he thought was the 'answer', whereas Tyler slapped the back of Josh's head.