Chapter 9

"Well, Theo, I'm sure you want to be shown around since this place has changed quite a bit since you were little, so, Eliza?" questioned Alpha James, causing my head to snap up.

We had already spent the past hour on the couches talking, me, not contributing a whole lot of course.

Theo was charismatic and bubbly, already making my own mother laugh more than I'd ever made her, and I could see by her wide smile, she meant it. I could see why. He was funny, cracking jokes left, right and centre, some of them even making me chuckle.

However, I couldn't indulge myself in the conversation, probably appearing rather rude, but my mind was elsewhere.

No matter how many times I tried to stop it, it just kept wandering back to Logan, and I couldn't help but wonder what he was doing right now. Was he thinking about me just like I was thinking about him?

I wanted to see him again, I know I did, but I needed some time. I needed some time to allow everything to sink in. I had never been overly interested in the whole mate concept.

I knew some girls couldn't wait to find theirs, but I didn't like the idea of being drawn to someone just because the universe said I should be. I wanted to find the right person for me by making my own decisions.

I sighed, shifting my gaze from Alpha James, to Theo, and then back to James. "Fine, let's go."

I stood up, waiting for Theo to join me before walking out of the door and making my way slowly down the path towards the village with Theo jogging up behind me to catch up.

"So..." Theo trailed off awkwardly, kicking at the ground as he walked with his hands in jean pockets.

"How long are you here for then?" I asked.

Theo shrugged. "As long as I want, I guess. James said I can join the pack eventually if I like it."

"What's wrong with your old pack?"

"There's nothing wrong with it, it's just my Mom, she kicked me out the house," Theo laughed, shaking his head slightly.

"Why?"

"Just being a general nuisance; she doesn't have much of a tolerance, especially with all the kids she has."

"This is the campfire area; there are a few of them around, but this is the biggest one," I said, motioning towards a large fire pit placed at the end of the path, away from all of the houses.

Multiple logs were scattered around it, making it a perfect place to sit and talk all night. I had done that on multiple occasions during the summer months.

"I'm guessing by the size of the pack there aren't many crazy wild parties?"

I scoffed, turning to Theo, amused. "No there aren't many crazy wild parties. Are you even old enough to drink?"

"Not legally, no, but all twenty year olds drink anyway. I'm the same age as you remember?"

I laughed, knowing he was right. Walking past the fire pit, I led Theo down the steep hill, towards our fishing lake, being careful not to slip on the now damp ground.

He stopped, taking a seat on the swampy grass, dangling his bare feet over the edge, allowing the cold water to come into contact with just the tip of his toes.

I joined him, ensuring I was sitting an appropriate distance away from him in order for it to not feel weird. It was quiet here; away from the noisy village filled with people.

"My uncle told me you were out seeing your mate, and about what he did..." Theo trailed off, not sure of what to say next, nervously running his hands through his light brown hair. "I'm sorry, I don't want you to think that I was trying to pry, or that James was being spiteful in telling me, he just wanted me to be updated since I'll be living here for a bit."

I shook my head, dismissing his concern. My entire pack; along with all neighbouring packs, had seen Logan stop the event.

They had seen the way he had reacted when he saw me, so I guessed everyone knew by now, however, I wasn't going to make a big deal of it. I didn't want question after question. I wanted to be able to figure it all out in my own head without the opinions of others.

"It's fine."

Theo laughed, turning to me smiling. "I'll say. You sure are a beast, I heard you took that whip like a boss."

I smiled, rolling my eyes. I didn't like to be reminded of The Whipping, but I knew I got off lightly luckily due to the fact I was Logan's mate. "What can I say? I'm tough," I laughed.

"In all seriousness though Eliza, that tradition is sick and no one has any respect for any Alpha that abides by it."

Theo was now looking at me, his emerald eyes fixated on my chocolate brown ones.

I knew that his opinion was going to be the same as everyone else's. I knew what people would say, and I was trying to not care, but I did. I knew I felt the exact same as Theo. The tradition was sick and my respect for Logan was sparse.

"I know, it really sucks," I mumbled, tucking my long hair behind my ears. "Are you staying with James then?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"For the moment, yeah."

Theo and I sat there for around thirty minutes, taking in the surroundings and allowing ourselves to breath in the crisp air.

He told me about his three sisters and four brothers, which I was amazed by, and how hard it was to leave them behind when his Mom kicked him out.

Theo was easy to talk to, and I found myself feeling comfortable with him.

Although I was still wary about what I said, I felt at ease knowing he was the nephew of Alpha James, meaning he came from a nice family who were brought up with morals and manners.

"Do you think you'll return to your pack?"

Theo shrugged, "I don't know. I don't want to be treated like a kid anymore. I want my own independence and this pack seems pretty cool."

"You think I'm cool?" I joked, widening my eyes for affect.

Theo laughed, shaking his head. "Well, I think I've seen enough for one day. Should we head back?"

Jumping to my feet, I nodded, brushing off my now muddy denim shorts.

The walk back was quiet and comfortable. It had just started to spit with rain, so Theo and I walked a little faster, and I tried my best not to slip on the now slippery cobble stoned pavement. Luckily, saving myself some embarrassment, I didn't.

I looked up at the darkening sky, grey clouds hovering just above my small house as we approached it. Alpha James lingered outside, clearly waiting for us, and when he saw us, he waved Theo over. "Hurry up Theo, I'm starving."

Theo rolled his eyes, turning to me. "Well, I'll see you around Eliza."

I smiled at him as Theo jogged after his uncle, and I was left in the now pouring rain just outside my front door, dreading taking a foot inside.

I knew what was about to happen. I would be bombarded with questions and I wasn't ready for them. I didn't know any of the answers myself...

............................................................

This chapter was a bit of filler just so Theo could be introduced. What do you guys think of him? Thanks for all the reads, votes and comments. I really appreciate it and I hope you are enjoying the book.

Lots of love xxx