07 • teacher

◦ ◦ ◦

Mr. Bang is very peculiar about his detentions.

Not only does he force his offending students to write lines upon lines on their misdoings (that he then grades with severe critique), he also likes to add an element of humility to the whole affair, as if being publicly called out in front of the class isn't enough.

Propped up against the chalkboard sits his trusty portable whiteboard of doom. On it he scrawls the names of students of the day who warranted punishment, along with their infraction and if any insubordination was noted upon his decree. This whiteboard is then displayed for all to see - a reminder of what misbehaviour will warrant them.

When the bell rings at the end of class, he'll pack his things, grab the whiteboard and head to his next class, actively hunting for his next victims along the way. Students steer clear and wide whenever they see him prowl the hallways.

Though it's only first period, several students already have their names on the board today, including Jeongguk. Mr. Bang's dry erase marker squeaks as he scratches Kim Taehee underneath the growing list in blood red ink. Beside my name he writes: failed to exhibit proper punctuality and publicly engaged in a verbal altercation.

I shrink further down in my seat, miffed at his declaration. I honestly thought Mr. Bang and I had some sort of mutual understanding. In my two years in his class I've never once gotten below a ninety and certainly never came close to having my name on the whiteboard. I strived to be his star pupil, and as ruthless as he was, I was just starting to think I had managed to soften his heart.

I guess I was wrong.

Which makes this all the more easier.

I need to steal that whiteboard.

Mr. Bangs turns back to his lesson. He drones on and on about genetics but for once in his class I'm not listening. My fingers restlessly spin a pencil as I stare at the whiteboard, trying to come up with some sort of plan. It seems almost impossible to pull off a heist like this, and even if it somehow was, getting caught would be fatal. I don't doubt he'd try to expel me on the spot.

By the time the bell rings for second period I still don't have a plan. I vaguely wonder if Jeongguk is just as stressed about this as I am, but when I glance to the back of the classroom I find that he's already gone.

So much for being in this together, asshole.

Thoughts consumed with worry, I trudge my way to my locker, bumping into people along the way. It takes me three tries to twist the proper combination in my distracted state.

When I finally open my locker, a piece of torn paper flutters to my feet. I frown, snatching it and reading the message scribbled upon it in familiar bubbly letters.

Fifteen minutes into second period ask to go to the bathroom and meet me here.
-jk

I glance around but the boy in question nowhere to be found among the bustling crowd of navy. Hastily shoving his note into my pocket, I switch my books and head to second period, a rejuvenated pep in my step.

Mrs. Adora's name suits her perfectly - she's adored by all; students and staff alike. A twinge of guilt worms in my chest as, just like Jeongguk instructed, I interrupt her lesson to ask to go to the bathroom fifteen minutes into class.

The hallways are deserted as I creep through them, clunky bathroom pass clutched in my hands. At least this gives me a good alibi if any teachers raise suspicion to my absence from class.