Chapter Fourteen

"Be careful. The devil has a pretty face."

I got chills as we watched the detective start his car and drive off down the hill

I got chills as we watched the detective start his car and drive off down the hill. Something told me we were slowly but surely running out of luck.

Detective Min wasn't here to play. He was out for blood. We couldn't lie and fool him like we had done to my oblivious mother, nor could we deceive a vicious man like him. He was smart and calculated and that last question about Mrs. Flowers was very well planned. He asked it so that I could freak out and squirm. I had the sinister feeling he could see straight through my act.

"He has nothing," Taehyung said lowly as he let go of the curtain. "Sooner or later this investigation will reach a dead end."

"How can you be so sure?" I honestly didn't think underestimating Detective Min was a good idea.

"Because he doesn't have enough proof to accuse us of anything. No one but you and me knows about what happened. Jimin might have as well gotten deadly wasted at that party and got ran over by a car or some other shitty way to die."

"But... what if they find the body?" I asked.

"They can't find the body because they don't have a warrant," Taehyung told me. "The field next to the lake is family property, so they can't dig around in it without our permission and they don't have enough reason to get a warrant."

This made sense, but I was still anxious. What if detective Min came back with a warrant tomorrow? Or even today? Now, that would be interesting.

And fatal.

And even worse, what if he found out about my newly established relationship with Taehyung? Blood related or not, we were still family and that was weird enough on its own. Perhaps the detective even picked up on that vibe today, that's why he was eyeing us like that.

Not that I cared about what people would think of me and Taehyung, but it would suck if this attracted the wrong kind of attention to us.

"Shit," I twitched, whipping around to face Taehyung. "We forgot to get rid of the clothes."

"We'll burn them," he announced as-a-matter-of-factly. "It's easier this way. No DNA."

"Right."

"Actually I'm going to go do that now," he told me, offering me one of his trademark sexy-sheepish smile. His head dipped down and he landed a small peck on my nose. "You stay here and just rest."

"I can come and help," I offered.

"No," Taehyung's hand traveled to my wrist. He raised it and brought it to his face where he pressed my knuckles to his plush pink lips, peering at me with everlasting devotion. "You don't need to get your hands dirty, angel eyes."

"Okay," I fumbled out, my breath stopping in my throat as he gently let go of my hand. His gait leisure and slack, he headed for the laundry room whereas I stood perched in front of the front door like a statue, unable to comprehend what had just happened in the last twenty-four hours or so.