Chapter One

"Abby, it's already 7:30, Mr Miller told us to go early and warm up. Are you ready?" Chloe has poked a head around my door as I swing my towel over one shoulder and floral blue backpack over the other.

"Ok. Let's go," I say swiftly before shutting my door and following Chloe out of our boarding house.

Icy cold winter breeze whirls through the air as we trod to the school pool. It's the first Monday morning of winter and Chloe and I are heading to our first class of the new school year. We are dressed in only our PE uniform - consisting of a dark red, short sleeve polo and very thin shorts - we shiver with every step. Grey clouds loom over head; signalling the approaching winter.

Memories of the summer holidays swamp my mind; with gloriously long days at the beach, shopping in town, and parties at Mia's house. It was fabulous. Chloe, Jackie, Mia, and I spent every minute together; strolling through the streets like the gleeful bunch of teenagers we were. But now it is senior year which means no last minute shopping trips, no Saturdays passing time by lounging on the beach, and especially no late night parties! Much to Mia's despair.

The thought of actually being a senior in high school hadn't really hit me until we arrived back at Oakwood Academy when I suddenly realised that this was it. After this year, we face the demons of the real world. We will no longer be surrounded by the safe sanctuary that our school gates provide. This time next year; we're on our own.

These thoughts corrupt my happy memories as we walk the final stretch across the frosty field to the pool.

Chloe catches my horrified expression and squeezes my hand. Her warmth leeching through my skin, forcing a hopeful smile to my face. Chloe Jackson has been my best friend since primary school. Ever since we bonded over a game of basketball, or rather her teaching me how to play, we have been joint at the hip. Our lives are linked in some unexplainable way. We even persuaded our parents to send us to the same school.

We met Mia during our first year at Oakwood. Back then she was as innocent as a saint, barely daring enough to skip forward in the lunch line, now she parties around day and night chasing after her boyfriend, Jake. Luckily, she always knows how to get out of a tricky situation and has had our backs more times than I can count.

Only two years ago did we all meet Jackie. She was alone at lunch on the first day of year ten so I encouraged everyone to eat our lunch with her. This became tradition and soon enough Jackie was switching into our dorm and accompanying us on weekends out. We were inseparable. It was us against the world. I just hope none of that changes this year.