Chapter 29 - Settling In

Warning! Spicy Chapter!

The old demon hierarchy was pretty basic. You had the Demon King who ruled over all the demons, and then you had the Demon Lords, who ruled over smaller territories. Humans were unsettled by the idea of a single entity ruling over an entire race though, so part of their peace agreement included having the old king dethroned, thus leaving the power of authority up to the remaining Demon Lords. Unfortunately, since demons were known to be a sneaky bunch, it was increasingly difficult for Demon Lords to carry out their work. So, they pretended to disband in order to work in secret. Unfortunately it wasn't so easy for them to stay hidden since, like Damon, they were each extremely powerful and stood out from the rest of society. Rumors that they descended from Demon Lords began to circulate, which was fine so long as no one knew the kind of authority they actually held. 

As it turned out, Damon had been looking into the Mendova's for years. They, along with many other high ranked families, were suspected of quite a few crimes. Unfortunately they were also good at hiding evidence. Despite being a Demon Lord, Damon would still need solid proof in order to convict them. Whenever such evidence was produced, at least three Lords would have to review it in order to condemn the criminals. This exact situation was why Damon's phone had been ringing off the hook when they were leaving the resort. Damon did not give details on what sort of punishments were handed out if a demon was found guilty of a capital crime, but Ricky could guess that it was pretty bad.

Ricky gave Bellini's contact information to Damon, which helped propel his investigation, but unfortunately it wasn't enough since it was all word of mouth. The mobster was only an informant after all, not a witness.

This bothered Ricky to no end, so he did the only other thing he could think of. He stirred up the old rumors surrounding the supposed murder of Utopia's CEO. He called a number of news stations, sent out letters to random papers, and even paid to have a popular online blog write an article about it. Soon, even Mr. Mendova was unable to brush it aside as local investigators were prompted to reopen the case. This tarnished their reputation pretty bad. Damon also managed to get their punishment decided, which lowered their social ranking. The negative attention cancelled quite a few contracts that they had in the works. Investors even began backing out, causing their stocks to crash.

"They'll recover." Hector stared sourly at the television as a reporter relayed the latest updates on the companies financial situation. "They always do."

"You sure about that?" Ricky cocked an eyebrow as he continued slicing apples.

It had been about a month since his injury. Luckily his shoulder was only fractured, so he didn't need to stay in the hospital for long. In the meantime, Damon instructed the others to keep their hands off until the doctor said it was safe. Thanks to this, Ricky had to endure coming home to three very repressed demons who would eye him hungrily whenever they thought he wasn't looking. Their urge to complete a bond with him had thrown their libido's into overdrive. Unfortunately, since he was ordered to remain abstinent, he was starting to feel repressed himself.

"Yeah." Hector replied, rinsing off some celery in the nearby sink, then sitting them next to the rest of the vegetables that Ricky planned to juice.

The mini bar that Hector often used had been spruced up once Ricky was settled in. The family decided to rid the house of all alcohol after learning about his past problems. Ricky wasn't proud that they knew so much about his dark history, but he greatly appreciated the lengths his husbands were going to in order to make him feel welcomed after moving in permanently.

A shuffling at the front door told them that Thomas was now home. He had to supervise a collector that came around his junk yard the other day, so he had been gone since the night before.