Chp. 6

-JENSON’S POV-

It was weird, ever since I had met Riley nothing bad has happened to me yet, and if anything, good things have been happening. Which was completely out of the norm for me.

She seemed so strong, so pure when she had stood up to Bren at the RedBox, like she had no fear of what he was capable of. I hadn’t completely opened up about him, he did some nasty things to me when we were together, but I just wasn’t sure if Riley was ready to hear about it.

But I didn’t miss Bren. No, not at all.

I looked at Riley, she seemed like she was in her own little world, thinking about everything in that brilliant mind. I still envied her, her confidence, her charisma, everything about her was perfect, and I wished I could be like that.

Losing Bren was because of her, the way she ordered me to do things, but it was a good thing that she did it. She was protecting me from the dangers and it had only been a week of me and her being friends, even though we were really close already.

Then again, I didn’t know anything about her.

I didn’t know about her past, or her family, or her exboyfriend… then again… what if she had ex-girlfriends?

Would I have a problem with that? No… Riley didn’t seem the type, but if she was… would I accept it? I mean something like that wouldn’t change a person’s perspective… would it? I had gay friends before… I was just never this close with any of them.

I was tempted to ask, but decided it was still to soon, and me and Riley needed to get to know each other on a more personal basis.

We made it to my house and I parked, grabbing the movies and heading up to my room with Riley.

She looked at me, touching my arm, “You ok?”

I nodded, Was I ok? I had thought about a lot on the way here, about Bren, and Riley… but was I really ok? I felt ok, I felt safe, like I was protected here in my house with Riley… “Yes, I’m fine, just a scare. That’s all.”

Riley smiled and popped the first movie in, “Alrighty then let’s watch these lame movies.”

I punched her in the arm, “They’re not lame!”

“But they’re not scary either.”

I laughed, and we settled in my bed, me and Riley’s arms slightly touching. Then I caught a flashback, from the time me and Bren had one of our nastiest fights.

~ ~ ~

Bren was staring at me from across the room, he was mad at me for telling him this but I couldn’t hide it from him. It was better just to get it over with, besides, it was an accident, something I had no part in.

She had kissed me. It wasn’t my fault. We were both drunk at the party, and we were playing Truth or Dare… we were just having fun. Apparently she thought it meant something, but that wasn’t my fault. I wasn’t gay, and I didn’t like her like that…

Bren stepped toward me, “You let her kiss you?”

I shook my head, “Bren it was Truth or Dare… we were dared to kiss and she thought it was something more. We were drunk… she came onto me… but I didn’t let her grope me or anything. I told her I wasn’t like that…”

I could see the rage in his eyes, no… she couldn’t get mad… he was scary when he got mad and I might not be able to control him. I touched his face, “Baby…”

He slapped and pushed me away, making me stumble backwards and fall onto the ground. It didn’t hurt, it hurt worse to know he was mad at me over this, over something I couldn’t fix. I stood back up, “Bren you didn’t have to do that…”

He punched the wall, “She kissed

MY girlfriend. You’re MINE Jenson… you shouldn’t be kissing anyone but me!”

Oh God, he was getting into one of those moods again… what if I would just leave him? Tell him it was over and I couldn’t take this anymore? Would that be a good move? To just try and get out of this toxic relationship once and for all?

I spoke, “Bren… I’m not sure if this is gonna work…”

His eyes snapped to mine, he was more pissed now, and I was scared. “You can’t leave me, you’ll have no one… I’ll just tell people you’re a lesbian. Maybe you are… considering you let that girl kiss you.”

“Bren don’t…” I stepped forward. Ok so breaking up wasn’t the option right now, not when he was in one of these moods. It was dangerous for the both of us, and I could give him a second chance. He was upset, he was protective of what was his, because everything he loved had walked out on him.

And he was going to make sure I didn’t.

~ ~ ~

“Jen you ok?”

I looked at Riley, she was looking worried, I had been zoned out in my own memory. I nodded, “Yea I’m sorry… just a rough night…”

She tilted her head and questioned, “You sure? You seemed lost in your own mind. It was kinda scary…”

I smiled, “Just thinking about Bren…”

“What about him?”

Should I tell her? Maybe talking about it would help me, it would get it off of my chest and Riley wasn’t going to judge me. She seemed as if she cared enough about me for me to tell her anything…

So I did.

I told her everything I had remembered about that flashback, how Bren had threatened to ruin me. How I had chickened out to breaking up with him and how I was petrified to make him upset because I never knew if he was going to flip or not.

Riley listened the whole time, never saying a word until I was finished. She didn’t judge me, she wasn’t scared for me, she didn’t pity me, she was just there for me.

And it warmed my heart.

“Jenson, as long as I’m your friend you have nothing to worry about. You have a new life, new friends, and you don’t ever have to go back to him and what you used to be. I promise.”

Those words were genuine and true, and I was holding her to that promise.