Chp. 7

-RILEY’S POV-

Weeks passed after the incident with Bren, it was weird because he never tried to make contact with Jenson after that. So I figured maybe I had put a little fear into him when we encountered, or he was stuck on how to get Jen back.

I wasn’t letting him get close to Jenson again, he wasn’t touching a hair on her head if I had anything to do with it.

I had grown protective of Jenson over the last month, we had become extremely close, and she was more then someone I was assigned to look over. She was my best friend, and I had grown a permanent attachment to her. I knew her emotions, I knew her likes and dislikes, her past, the way she slept at night, how she would talk in her sleep… I knew everything about her.

But she still had no insight on my past.

She didn’t know about my mother’s death from Cancer two years ago, she didn’t know I was living by myself because my dad was deployed in Iraq… she didn’t know anything about me really.

I gave her insight on my past life though, just nothing important.

The past month, it had been quiet, her and Jake were friends to, we were almost a trio now but I knew it was going to end up a double again.

Because Jenson was starting to form feelings for Jake.

And what made it worse was… I was starting to gain feelings for Jenson.

I didn’t know the policy about someone’s Guardian Angel starting to have a crush on their Human… but I was. I didn’t know if it was a good thing, I mean damn I was still human. I still had human emotions and needs… so was it possible for me to like Jenson when I was supposed to be protecting her?

No one had talked to me in my sleep either about it, like the first and only night I had ever encountered Higher Power. It had only happened once… and I was starting to wonder if that was ever going to be the only time it was ever going to happen.

I needed advice, I needed to talk it out, I needed to sort to questioned out and get them answered. But I was starting to get scared that I was going to have to figure it out on my own.

I had only had one girlfriend, and it was during Sophomore year, and even though it didn’t last and I didn’t have feelings for her any longer… it still counted.

I had been sort of the outcast, at the beginning of Highschool of course. My ex-girlfriend got me out of my shell, introduced me to her friends… and her friends, friends.

Then my mom passed away.

It had been a hard blow to the gut, something that crippled me for two years of my life. My girlfriend ended up leaving me that summer after Sophomore year, I didn’t lose my “friends” though. I would escape with them, sneak out whenever I had to because most of the time I was alone anyway with my dad.

I ended up in some deep shit with drugs the start of my junior year. Everyone knew who I was, and knew what I was known for. People liked me, but I never liked people. I was lost for a long time in my life without my dad next to me, and feeling like I was alone most of the time…

I started to believe it.

But then Jake moved to school at the beginning of the summer after Junior year, we met at a party. I didn’t know how he knew the people that owned the house but I remember him drinking water. I laughed at him, but after that… we got to know each other.

He was nice, we were close, and he pulled me out of my depression. He got me away from the drugs and the partying and introduced me to good people, people who were smart and sane… and sober.

That’s why we were so close now.

But then this October, I realized he was starting to change. He was jumpy, liked to party, he turned into a liar, cheated on his girlfriend, then started playing the field… but dirty. He would tell me about it because I was his best friend, but no matter how much I tried to tell him he could always settle for one… he never did.

And now Jenson was falling for him… and I had no way of stopping her.

“So do you wanna go to the movies? I’ve been dying to see this movie…” Jake was talking on the phone with Jenson, and I was invisible in her room.

So you could say I was eavesdropping.

“What movie?”

“The new scary one… it looks really good.”

Ha, a scary movie, you won’t get Jenson with that one Jake. Jenson was silent, she was having mixed feelings, and to my shock she said, “Sure, we can go see it.”

I clenched my invisible fist, cool, she would go watch a super scary movie with Jake but she wouldn’t watch a stupid one with me. I didn’t get why my heart was letting her get to me, usually no one got to me, so naturally I blamed the stupid connection.

I was back at my house in a second, I hated these feelings, but at the same time I loved them. I knew how Jenson looked at me, and she looked up to me, she was fond of me to. She envied me, and she felt safe with me…

And I was the stupid one getting attached, and it wasn’t even my fault.

I experienced everything she experienced, fear, happiness… and the worst, depression.

She had been ok the last couple of days, but she had her moments, and I would have to go through them with her. I would actually take some of the pain away from her when I could bear it, but recently, I haven’t been able to help her.

I received a text from Jenson, reading, “Jake asked me out on a date! Do you think it’s a good idea?”

I should be honest with her, tell her what I knew, even though I have already so I don’t know why she was even asking me that. I told her his past girlfriends, and what he was known to do… but they weren’t dating, he was just taking her on a date.

Maybe if they went on the date she would come back hating him.

I scolded myself for thinking that, Jenson had a hard enough life, there was no need in me being mean and mad about it. I texted her back, “Sure, he’s cool.”

Her reply was almost immediate, “You okay?”

I rolled my eyes, but the more I thought about it… Was I ok? Maybe not… considering I had been thinking a lot of my mom and dad… and how lonely this house was. I missed Jenson, she hadn’t even asked me to hang out at all this weekend, and she had other friends, cooler friends I guess. Sure we were still tight, and we loved being around each other, but she was hanging with Jake to, so she was around his crew…

I looked at my phone, the blank message staring at me, “Yea I’m great.”

I threw my phone on my bed and disappeared into the night, I was sitting on top the Hollywood sign, it was dark and I was gazing over the city lights. The cool thing about having Angel abilities, you could do whatever you wanted, as long as you kept an eye on your Human.

I looked down, my feet dangling lifelessly off the side, it was cool air, cold really… and it was peaceful. Now that I was so used to feeling Jenson’s emotions, I had forgot how to block them out. So now I constantly had her tuned in, and I was pretty much a master at it.

But it hurt to, because she was having a great life because of me, when mine revolved around her.