Chp. 14

-RILEY’S POV-

After lunch me and Jenson headed to a shoe store, she still was determined to buy her some new boots today and I wasn’t going to try and stop her.

We drove up to the shoe store and hopped out of her car and I followed her reluctantly into it. I kept picking out shoes but she insisted to refuse, making me figure she was looking for a certain kind. Then she stopped, and I looked up, she had her eyes set on this really cute pair of black boots.

She searched around but she seemed to be having trouble. She fell back and huffed, “Of course they don’t have a size 7.”

I smiled, looking up and realizing she was right, there was none.

I knew how to fix this, and I was going to, because I loved to amaze Jenson. I stepped forward, placing my hand on a box and changing it from a size 8 to a size 7, shoe and all. I took it down and bent down, “Size 7.”

She gapped at me, totally shocked that I had pulled out a 7. I slipped on her boot and looked up at her, smirking, “Perfect fit.”

She stood, still looking up at me, “Thanks…”

I smiled, “Can we go now… you have a date to get ready for.”

She nodded, shoving the shoes back into the box and checking out. We climbed back into Jenson’s car and started home then as we were on the road Jenson’s phone let out a bing that caught our attention. I looked at her and she shrugged, “Answer it please.”

I opened it, and to my shame I read aloud, “Hey do you wanna have dinner tonight and a movie or something?”

She sighed, “Put yea, and ask what time please.”

I grimaced, I almost typed “No, I’m with Riley, someone who won’t screw me over” but decided that wouldn’t end well with Riley. So I complied with her request and set her phone down on the middle console.

I looked at her, “So how much do you like Jake, scale of Bren to 10.”

She laughed at how I replaced the 1 with Bren and shrugged, “He’s sweet, and makes me feel special, so I’d say a 7 or 8. Why?”

I shrugged, trying not to seem to hurt, it sucked hearing that, I don’t even know why I asked her in the first place. It was stupid, but I just wanted to know what I was going to get myself into. Jake was going to hurt her, but I couldn’t control her and make her decisions for her.

She was going to learn from her mistakes.

“Just wondering.”

“You sure you’re ‘just wondering’?” she sounded hurt, a bit worried to.

I looked at her, putting on a smile, “Yea? What is that illegal?”

It was a little harsh, and I could feel it made her feel insecure and sad, “No…”

Why was it so hard to talk to her about it? About Jake? I wanted to tell her that I liked her, but I was afraid it was to soon.

Valentines Day was Monday… and it was already almost Sunday. Maybe… no… that would seem weird, I had only known her a month and a half…I couldn’t be in love with her yet. Sure, I liked her, but it wasn’t anything serious yet, was it?

Then again Jake seemed to be playing his cards right, and Jenson was already practically in love with him.

We got to my house, and she realized once again that I was alone, she spoke, “You sure you don’t wanna stay…”

I looked at her, “At your house? Alone? While you go on a date with Jake? Really Jenson…”

She became hurt again, shit, “Just a question… why do you get so mad? You can go on dates to? Guys like you, you know that Riley… give them a chance.”

I wanted to laugh at her comment, obviously it wasn’t obvious enough that I wasn’t interested in guys in general. I looked at her, opening her car door to exit the car, “None of them grab my attention,” then I exited, leaving her in the car.

I opened my house and stepped in, slamming the door and resting my back on it. Why did my heart hurt so bad? Like I was being stabbed over and over… I wanted to rip my hair out, and I knew this feeling wasn’t good. I was falling more in love with Jenson, and I was going to have to attend her date tonight.

Just to make sure she stayed alive, because trust me, the last thing I wanted to see was them making out and talking all lovey dovey around each other.

Also listening to Jake’s flirting he used on every. Single. Girl.

But I had to do it, for Jenson, not for me… and it was starting to get old. I still have about 3 and a half months left until I could possibly escape this Guardian shit.

I raced up to my room and blared some music, feeling as if my heart was about to explode. I laid on my bed and I felt my heart ache from the thought of Jenson going out with Jake… it hurt me. Physically and emotionally.

Then I fell into a deep sleep.

~ ~ ~

Riley, you’ve done such a good job being Jenson’s Guardian, but Jenson is still in trouble… and you’re giving up slowly. Would you want to give up being her Guardian?”

I looked around but I knew I was dreaming, communicating with the higher power. They thought I was giving up? Just because I was hurting a little bit? I was anything but a quitter, and they knew that… “No I don’t want to give up… but I love her… Is that normal?”

“It’s normal to love the one you protect, you have an unbreakable connection, and it’s happened so many times before you…”

I nodded, “Will I be punished for it?”

“Of course not, unless you fail us… there will be slight consequences. There’s no need to hurt yourself more Riley… your fate is chosen by Jenson, and she will choose before she turns 18 what will happen to you.”

What did that mean? Jenson chose my fate? How was that possible when she didn’t even know about me being her Guardian?

“You will see soon enough…”

~ ~ ~

And then I was awake, and I realized I was late for Jenson’s date.