Chp. 25

-

JENSON’S POV-

We were driving up to Jake’s game, I got out and locked my car behind me and Riley fell into my stride. We were approaching the gate and Riley grabbed my hand, it was gentle, peoples eyes traveled to out joined hands and I pulled away, looking at her sternly. “Riley, will you stop.”

She smiled, shrugging, “Your hands were cold…”

I rolled my eyes, but I had to admit, she was really funny when she tried flirting with me. It was cute, like a little puppy crush… and it warmed my heart.

It didn’t disgust me, it didn’t freak me out, it was just like another person trying to get with me.

I knew I told Riley that I didn’t like her like that, but in reality… I didn’t know what I liked. I liked her, I liked Jake… but I needed her. She didn’t treat me like shit, now Jake… he could be a real dick if he wanted to… but I still loved him.

Riley had tried to break down what was really going on in my head, and in a way it made a lot of sense. She explained how I felt as if I was “supposed to like” Jake, but I really didn’t, I was just in denial about my feelings for her…

The more I thought about it though… the more it made sense.

We sat down and Riley leaned over, “If you get cold… I’d be more then happy to warm you up.”

I looked at her, laughing at her expression, she was so cute… but I wasn’t gay. No, I wasn’t, I just thought she was funny.

Her expression changed, as if she was thinking of something that was extremely important. I wanted to know what she was thinking, but I didn’t want to interrupt her thoughts.

I didn’t see Jake on the field but when I did his eyes locked with mine, and then it traveled to Riley. Riley wrapped her arm around my shoulder, pulling me close, and waved to Jake. His face became serious, and he looked… jealous?

She leaned over, “Mhm, looks like Jake will be all over you tonight… but I like a challenge.” She kissed my cheek and I looked at her, in shock.

Did she really just do that…? In front of all these damn people?

Jake’s eyes were fierce, Riley was getting one thing right though… she was showing Jake that she wanted me. It was obvious of course, but if Jake really wanted me… he would try and win me over, just like Riley was.

Jake didn’t play much, he pitched only a couple of innings and hit but we ended up losing anyway.

Didn’t mean the party was off though.

Me and Riley were on our way to this so say “party of the year” when she broke the question, “Jenson… I wanna know if anything has changed… if there’s any hope for me and you…”

I pulled up to a stop light, looking up at her and realizing there was no playfulness in her voice this time. She was serious, and could tell she really wanted a yes, the look in her eyes… she was begging me. She wanted me, and I could tell, the way she looked at me, the way she acted to confident around me…

When in reality… she was being torn apart while she was waiting for an answer.

I realized this answer could make or break her… but I wanted to be honest with her… right? If I was going to be honest… I was going to have to tell her that I actually loved her flirting with me, but did I want that for me and Riley?

Could I see myself being with her?

I looked at her, her blue eyes pleading me for a simple yes… “Riley… I love you, and I need you in my life… I just…”

She faced forward again, nodding, “I understand.”

She knew what I was going to say, she knew I wasn’t going to be with her… but she was having a hard time accepting it.

We arrived at the party, she got out immediately and disappeared behind the back of the house without me and left me there alone. I felt bad, I knew I shouldn’t have let her flirt with me so openly, I should’ve denied her little flirts and touches…

But I liked them…

Jake’s arms wrapped around me, he whispered, “So you’re turning on me to Jen?”

I turned, “I am not turning Jacob Coleman.”

He tilted his head, running his hands down my sides, “Good… because you’re to beautiful to turn into a lesbian.”

I felt my face warm, and then his lips were on mine, I felt the electricity run through us, and that’s why I wanted to be with him.

The only thing that bothered me was… it felt like this with Riley to.

Jake pulled me into the house, I couldn’t find Riley but it didn’t stop me from having a good time. We danced, and the more I looked for Riley… the more I got worried. I was drinking though, but I wasn’t planning on getting wasted, I wanted to remember the rest of my nights.

Jake held up my cup, “Want some more?”

I nodded, “Not to much though…”

I followed him to the keg and he filled it, handing me the cup and leaning in, his lips connecting with mine once more. The butterflies were still there, and I loved it, I couldn’t get enough of it actually.

He pulled me closer, and then I heard one of the guys behind us whistle and speak, “Get a room you guys!”

I pulled away, laughing, and I realized I was having a really good time.

We walked through the den that was connected to the living room and then I was face to face with something that took my by complete surprise.

It was Riley, she was lip-locked with some bitch… I whispered, “Riley…?”

She looked up, her face was flushed, and then she stood, pulling the familiar face up with her.

“Shit sorry Jenson, I haven’t introduced you… Jenson, this is Bree Evigan… my ex-girlfriend.”

I crossed my arms, “Doesn’t look like she’s much of a friend to me.”

I was getting defensive, and I didn’t know if it was because I knew her and Bree’s past relationship or because I was… jealous…

She stepped forward, sticking out her hand while I studied her. Her short reddish brown hair, her light eyes, she was really pretty, and I felt intimidated.

“Hi, I’m Bree, nice to meet you.”